• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

500 Yards, Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Shot and Recovered .490 Balls out to 600 Yards in a 10-12 Foot Dirt Bank. I was trying to Hit my gong but never did, There was some wind kicked up and ended my Shooting so I can’t speak of Accuracy. 200 Yards is the farthest i have Shot Roundball accurately

Here is 1 of the .490 Balls i recovered at 600 Yards, It’s safe to say that this is the end of the line, the Ball doesn’t have much left here, Stil wouldn’t want hit with it though :)
57i1DQ9.jpg
Sorry off topic here, I would send a private message if I could…but what do YOU use for patch lube?

Most TC barrels were not rifled or crowned uniformly enough for such accuracy. My TC Hawken had one groove that was barely a scratch and the flint locks were not worth manure.

And lets see a ten shot group..
I have a TC flint hawken 50 cal, that I found in the bargain rack at the then TC custom shop Fox Ridge / Ledge, can’t remember, after they had been discontinued. Set up with a Wm. Malcomb scope to accommodate my 76 yr old eyes it is by far the best muzzleloader I have. Powerful, extremely accurate, and handy in the woods. Owing to those factors, and the fact that you can make a flint work with a bit of rock and some home made powder, it is the last gun I would ever part with. 🇺🇸🦅

Alas, my teary eyes need glass these days as well. But still, I'd be happy with hitting that gong if the glass outweighed the .52 bore bench gun.

I have Shot and Recovered .490 Balls out to 600 Yards in a 10-12 Foot Dirt Bank. I was trying to Hit my gong but never did, There was some wind kicked up and ended my Shooting so I can’t speak of Accuracy. 200 Yards is the farthest i have Shot Roundball accurately

Here is 1 of the .490 Balls i recovered at 600 Yards, It’s safe to say that this is the end of the line, the Ball doesn’t have much left here, Stil wouldn’t want hit with it though :)
57i1DQ9.jpg
Id love to take a shot out that far but the only range we have close to me (45 minutes) is 100 yards.
I have a Pedersoli Kentucky long rifle flinter in .45 that I used to hit the 100 yard target right out of the box with a patched round ball. It was shooting high and left but still on the paper and I walked the shots into the 10 ring with no physical adjustments to the gun. I'd like to get the sites dialed in and take out for a long drive just to see what it can really do. I'd also like to try a paper patched conical. If I could make that work, I have a great paper cartridge set up that would be perfect for woods walks.
Neil

1 moa at 100 yards is 1.047". So anything under 1.047" at one hundred yards is considered sub moa. A minute of angle at 500 yards is 5.235". So a group at 500 yards would have to be smaller than 5.235" to be sub moa at that distance. We usually don't concern ourselves in general with the decimals and just round down to the whole number.

Sorry off topic here, I would send a private message if I could…but what do YOU use for patch lube?

Stihl HP Ultra FULL Synthetic 2 Stroke Engine Oil & Peanut Oil Mixed 50/50, Both have a really high “Flash Point” I keep it in a Small spray bottle.
fCaZD3Tm.jpg

qwOkDrLm.jpg

I keep it in this Small spray bottle, Simply Spritz the Patches as i load them
Qlzz6ov.jpg

1 moa at 100 yards is 1.047". So anything under 1.047" at one hundred yards is considered sub moa. A minute of angle at 500 yards is 5.235". So a group at 500 yards would have to be smaller than 5.235" to be sub moa at that distance. We usually don't concern ourselves in general with the decimals and just round down to the whole number.

Correct 👍

My .54 always shoots significantly sub-MOA until the second shot.
:)

Idaholewis,
This was my fifty bore paper patch experiment in a 22" Green Mountain barrel, obviously never intended for long range. Going to try it in a stock TC .50 and see what happens.
50 LRH - 450GR PP HB.jpg

The engineering on the bullet you're using is finer than frog hair. Purely lovely.

Idaho Lewis. Does anyone spot for you prior to shooting these long ranges. Im guessing with the sights you are using you must have a close idea as the where they need to be to shoot that gong at 500 if not.

Stihl HP Ultra FULL Synthetic 2 Stroke Engine Oil & Peanut Oil Mixed 50/50, Both have a really high “Flash Point” I keep it in a Small spray bottle.
fCaZD3Tm.jpg

qwOkDrLm.jpg

I keep it in this Small spray bottle, Simply Spritz the Patches as i load them
Qlzz6ov.jpg
Why didn't I think of using a spray bottle? I used the round prelubed patches and keep them in a CCI cap tin. But when not hunting and shooting from the bench the spray looks like the way to go?

Back