• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 roundball loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgrim64

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been testing different loads with roundballs in my .50 hawken. I am using pyrodex and like 50gr. The kick does not raise the barrel at all. I am interested in what others like to use. I want to be able to hit a deer at 50-100yards.

Pilgrim64 said:
I have been testing different loads with roundballs in my .50 hawken. I am using pyrodex and like 50gr. The kick does not raise the barrel at all. I am interested in what others like to use. I want to be able to hit a deer at 50-100yards.

I shoot a lot of competition and like to use lighter loads for 25 and 50 yards. These run about 50 - 55 grains for my three .50s. When I get the rifle dialed in for 50 yards I up the charge to where I am hitting at that distance with the same POA/POI I use at 50 yards. That is the load I also use for hunting. This can run from 65 to 75 grains depending on the rifle.

A 70 grain load of 3F will go all the way through the chest of a Mule Deer at about 75 yards.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me a bit more about why you use 3f vs. 2f? I have both and use the 3f for my pistol.

Pilgrim64 said:
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me a bit more about why you use 3f vs. 2f? I have both and use the 3f for my pistol.

>50 is sort of the dividing line between 3F and 2F. the 50 likes them both, BUT, each gun is different.
I have also seen 54's that shoot better with 3F, again, trail and error.
The finer grained powder ignites a tad faster and has more pressure.
Sometimes 2F needs a little tap of the stock to fill the flash channel.
As for the 50 pistol, 3F will most likely be the perfered powder for you.
Try them both and prove out on paper.
They will all go "Boom", but what will give you the best results??

Trial and error!

If you typically use 2F, use a tad lighter charge with the 3F(more powder/less air space volume for volume.)

Both of my current 50's really like 80 grains of 3f, though I don't think that much is needed for deer. I'd be just as confident in 70 grains, but the rifles have spoken. They're more accurate with 80. Of course my flinter can't use it, but my 50 capper is also really fond of 80 grains of Pyro P. And both are indifferent with 2f. Just the way it works out, and the next one I pick up might prefer 2f. So be it.

But I'm happiest with the 3f black (actually Goex) because it lets me standardize, and even use it for priming the capper.

As for some caliber designation for 2f versus 3f, I've read that lots of places but never been able to prove it. I've got four 58 caliber rifles ranging in barrel length from 26" to 36" and they all do really well with 3f. The one with the 36" barrel likes 2f just as well, but I'm not going to keep it around just for that one rifle. Between my wife and I we have three 54 cals too, and those like 3f. And funny thing, my 75 caliber Brown Bess does it's best work shooting either shot or RB with 3f. Add in the 32 and 36 caliber rifles in the house, and the last case of powder I got was all 3f.

I think you owe it to yourself to try both 2f and 3f, but the only golden rule is to let the gun make its own choice which is best.

I keep meaning to try FFFg in my . 50 cal. GPR Flintlock. I haven't yet because the load that I have been using works so well. Goex 90 grains FFg + .490 PRB.
Three shots, benched, at 100 yards:
GPR3shotat100.jpg

Pete

I agree with what has been said. I'm not one who thinks heavier loads are necessary for hunting, and usually settle around 70 grains of 3f in my .50's.

But, as has been said, see what your rifle likes best and go with that.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Pilgrim64 said:

I use 3F in all my rifles from .32 to .58. I feel I get better consistency than using 2F. About the only thing I use 2F in is my shotgun.

Some larger caliber rifles do prefer 2F so you should try both so see what your rifle likes the best.

Pilgrim64 said:

Use what works best. But you need to do load development with both powders. I once had a 50 with a Douglas 48 twist that was frighteningly accurate with 90 gr of FFF.
I have a friend who uses a lot of 1.5 Swiss in RB guns because it shoots best for him. And it REALLY shoots well. He has a 45 with a Green Mountain barrel he uses 55 gr in with a .451 ball that REALLY shoots. 15 shots with an average variation from center of about .4"
Also if you are *serious about accuracy* you MUST shoot 2-3 10 shot strings. Or as many shots in 5 shot strings.
It is very easy to shoot a 3 shot string and feel smug about it but its not a comprehensive test.
If you REALLY want best accuracy you have to do the necessary shooting to get the best from the rifle. With good load development any rifle with a good bore should shoot 1-1.5" at 100.
In most rifles this may require wiping and a fairly dry patch.
Patches soaked in water soluble oil then allowed to dry shoot extremely well for myself and several others.
Patches oiled with neatsfoot etc then squeezed dry in a vise also do well for some shooters.
Some use patches lubed with water or water and soap. I consider this a potential problem as some soaps are corrosive.

No you don't have to do all this to have fun. My problem is I shoot against some really serious shooters and if forces me to jump through hoops to keep my head above water.
Note that "dry" patches or patches lubed with a "non-lubricant" like water may shoot to a significantly different point of aim than a greased patch or oiled one.

Dan

Pete D. said:
I keep meaning to try FFFg in my . 50 cal. GPR Flintlock. I haven't yet because the load that I have been using works so well. Goex 90 grains FFg + .490 PRB.
Three shots, benched, at 100 yards:
GPR3shotat100.jpg

Pete

You're right.
.490 + 90 FFg.
Too bad everything isn't so easy.

Being old and half blind, if I could shoot a 3 shot, 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yds with open sights you can bet your bippy I'd be smug. :grin:

My .50 Tenn Mntn Rifle flinter just likes fff better than ff. Quirk of the rifle more than my preference.

Hello from Germany!

I use both the .45 and the .50 for hunting and charges from 75 to 90 grs work best with RB and conicals (Maxis).

Regards

Kirrmeister

Walker357 said:
Being old and half blind, if I could shoot a 3 shot, 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yds with open sights you can bet your bippy I'd be smug. :grin:

I fired a one shot 1/2" group at 100 yards last summer. :rotf:

Back