• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 REAL slugs in sidelock cap-pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've tryed some in my CVA .50 and not much luck. anyone have experience with them in a .50 pistol?
they do well in my rifle however.

Blizzard of 93 said:
I've tryed some in my CVA .50 and not much luck. anyone have experience with them in a .50 pistol?
they do well in my rifle however.
I would think this is a bad idea. Load the pistol with a REAL bullet then shake or bump it with the muzzle down.
Never tried this with the REAL but the Maxi-ball will move off the powder.
If the pistol is carried muzzle down for a period of time you may find the bullet has become a bore obstruction.

Dan

you may be right with some .50 pistols Dan but the REAL is a push fit in my CVA .50. takes some efort to seat the slug atop powder/felt wad.

Has anybody tryed the Ball-et from Buffalo Bullet Company? It is 1/2 roundball and 1/2 conical. Its 245gr. I would like to know how it does if anybody has tried it in their pistol.

I did try the ball-et in my Traditions Trapper. In all fairness, I didn't get to spend a lot of time on load development, so I'm sure I wasn't getting the best results possible.

I never did get it to shoot as well as a PRB. As the powder charge increased, the groups shrank, so I think the secret is to load it relatively hot. Recoil was starting to become a bit stout and I remember warnings about Trappers splitting stocks if they're loaded too heavy, so I stopped. It looked to have potential, I just didn't get to do as much testing as I would have liked.

that was my experience with the REAL slugs, a powder charge increase brought the grouping tighter some but recoil is excessive. quite a handful. I was hitting a paper plate at 20 paces is best I got out of it.

Back