• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 PRB speed over a chrono

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what I'm missing but 100 grains of 3f to reach 1300 fps with a 28" barrel seems way off to me.

I've shot my .50 caliber Traditions Deerhunter flintlock over the chrono a total of 13 shots using only 50 grains of Schuetzen 3f and averaged just a little over 1300 fps. And that rifle only has a 24" barrel.
I went back and checked my notes, and you are correct. 70 grains gave me velocities in the 1300 range. 100 grains got me up to about 1600.

Try shooting through a 12"X12" piece of stretched Cheese cloth. The ball will go completely through, unimpeded but the patch and the smoky manure will get caught and not give false readings on the chronograph. FYI... don't have your wife hold the cheese cloth while you shoot at it.....

Not sure how accurate this can be with all the variables when shooting black powder but thought some might find it interesting. It's a velocity calculator for black powder.

P-Max black powder internal ballistics
I tried it with 2 loads I'm very familiar with. Both showed roughly the same velocity as the Lyman Handbook.
I saved it to my smartphone.
Thanks.

I was watching a YT video of someone shooting his ML over a chrony and it looked like he took 4-5 regular steps and was halfway there so he could read it. I guesstimated it was 20' away. It had the two sunscreens on it.

A distance of 15 to 20 yards!? Sounds a bit excessive to me. I set mine up at about 20 feet.
The chrono was not detecting shots when it was closer. I moved it out to about 20-25 feet after testing the centerfire rounds, but it was not detecting rounds fired. The third move placed it around 20 yards. It may have been a little farther than necessary, but the ball would not slow much at that distance and I was definitely beyond the muzzle blast.

but the ball would not slow much at that distance and I was definitely beyond the muzzle blast.
I had a ballistics program that would calculate muzzle velocity based on what was measured at a known distance to the chrono. Can't remember what it was though.

I had the chrono set up at the range to check some evil black rifle rounds, so I thought, what the heck.

I use Hornady 0.495 pure lead balls with an average weight of 182.5 grains. 0.018 pillow ticking patch and Track's mink oil patch lube. Powder was Schuetzen FFFg. I also swabbed and dried between rounds.

My rifle is an early Lancaster with a 42" Rice swamped Southern Classic barrel and a Chamber's large Siler lock.

63 gr = 1460 fps average

72 gr = 1579 fps average

97 gr = 1858 fps average

Fun times. 😃

That is only half the story. a ball traveling over the speed of sound decelerates faster than a sub sonic ball. What matters is the speed down range at the target. Figures found by Lyman in their first edition Black powder Handbook show that sometimes there is an insignificant difference at 100 yards between one load and another 10 or even 20 grains higher.

No, that's a different methodology. The methodology used that I'm referring to was much simpler. It took all the input that one would enter into the program and with distance from muzzle to chrono and velocity measured it calculated the typical table of trajectory, velocities down range, energy, etc. Entering a distance from muzzle to the chrono allowed it to calculate the same data to the rear for that distance.

Using a program such as Point-blank you can do it manually by changing the muzzle velocity entered until it calculates the same velocity measured at the known distance of muzzle to chrono.

The chrono was not detecting shots when it was closer. I moved it out to about 20-25 feet after testing the centerfire rounds, but it was not detecting rounds fired. The third move placed it around 20 yards. It may have been a little farther than necessary, but the ball would not slow much at that distance and I was definitely beyond the muzzle blast.

I've thought about what you posted about chrono distance from the muzzle and the problem of not getting a shot read. There may be some other variable causing the problem. What it could be I have no idea. I get good reads as close as 15 feet from the muzzle.

I've thought about what you posted about chrono distance from the muzzle and the problem of not getting a shot read. There may be some other variable causing the problem. What it could be I have no idea. I get good reads as close as 15 feet from the muzzle.
And my Magneto Speed is not bothered other than getting crapped up with smoke ,attached to barrel/Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0777[1].JPG
    IMG_0777[1].JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
15-20 feet from the muzzle works for me.
Yeah, when I've used mine, I've had no problems getting readings at about this distance. And the ballistics calculators pretty well line up with the amount of drop I've seen at 50 and 100 yards, so it seems like it is reading the velocity of the ball and not something like the patch.

I had a Chambers rifle exactly as you described. But greed and stupidity made me sell it. Maybe you ended up with it? If so, I will trade yoh my house and truck and wife and dog for it. Well, maybe not the truck.

And my Magneto Speed is not bothered other than getting crapped up with smoke ,attached to barrel/Ed
That's a great unit so far as I've used mine. A friend of mine has the more expensive one that sits on the bench and you shoot right next to it. It also does a great job. I was worried that he was going to get mad when my gun sooted it all up but he just laughed and wiped it off. Some people are just great sports. I was wondering how my barrel mounted one would do with the holy black and now I know!

Latest posts

Back