• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 cal TC to 28 guage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just talked to mr. hoyt while ive got plaenty of other rifles I don't have a smoothbore barrel, I have an extra .50 caliber 15/16 TC hawken barrel mr. hoyt said he can make it a smoothie at about .58 which I'm told is roughly 28 guage, now as far as hunting applications squirrels rabbibts what about a close range turkey say no farther than 15-20 yards? which I understand ill have to work a load up pattern it etc, I feel having an extra smooth barrel would go along great with my green mountain barrel I put on this TC

I had one of the T/C factory made 56 smooth bore for awhile.(it's a 1" barrel)
Long story short it was pretty dismal as a shotgun. I never did take it in field hunting because of it's lack of performance on paper and clay's.
I did spend a good amount of time working load variables to give it a chance.

Thanks Mr John guess it will become a fast twist 54 barrel. the bore is dark but the rifling looks good I don't see pits and such maybe I should just shoot the 50 and see how it shoots heck I may be surprised

I ran upon a smoothbore barrel at the flea market, a couple years back. It is a 20 gauge, but what I really like about it.....it is choked. I used a telescoping gage and it was full 20 ga. but it had several thousandths of taper and constriction at the muzzle. It throws down a nice pattern, much like a modern 20 ga.

It was made by Armi-sport, but with a few small details, was easy to make it fit my Renegade.

I also ran upon several boxes of reloading cards and wads, at the flea market, so it's fun and inexpensive to shoot.

So...I wonder if Hoyt can bore a barrel with choke? If he can, that is the way to go. I'm using my barrel with shot only, because I have several rifles and a dedicated smooth shot barrel is really nice.

Never had a muzzleloading shotgun. But I think it will need to be choked to be much use as a shotgun. Having screw in chokes added might not appeal to tradition but it would certainly improve the results for a shotgun.

ran into a deal, where a gun shop took in a rusty .50 cal and the gunsmith reamed it to 28 gauge.
its the change barrel for my 'Miss Muley" Shoots a decent enough pattern as a cylinder bore.. more than enough for birds, bunnies and squirrels..

a cylinder bore, with enough meat at towards the muzzle can be 'jug' choked.. My bud and I did it on his UH 16 gauge barrel we made.. Shoots a nice modified to full pattern. Good enough to take a turkey with !! :grin:

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

check up on tradeguns. northwest type. they were in that ga. and work well. I had a 28 ga. caywwod and it was good to 40 yards on small game.

A 24 ga makes more sense than a 28. 570 round balls are available. 540 round balls for a 28 ga, not so much. Sure 535 can be used is you like using that much cloth.

Yes, I was not thinking. A jug choke would be much more appropriate on a muzzleloader and would be effective.

If it is possible to put choke in the barrel, then I would do that.

My chocked .62 is same as 20 ga. full choke, however, it is a one inch barrel. Makes the gun light weight, also.

had a tc renegade rebored to 58 smoothbore by him. excellent work. still have to go to range. just as on the last 3 barrels he has done for me.

Back