• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4F in the 1863

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know they say 10 grains of fff but I have heard multiple people discussing the use of ffff.

It is of course a 31 caliber. I know my super companion which of course is 22 caliber recommends the ffff.

So is there a specific caliber number where you really shouldn't go below fff?

4f will work, you don't want to go over 10 makes for a hair more energy and a more satisfying *crack* when set off
now the lawyer load in the book says 3f

also if you have a brass frame, stick to the 3f
Makes sense. I have been using about eight grain as I do have a brass frame.

I've got three f and I will probably go ahead and stick with that but the only reason I ask is I have almost a full pound of 4f and not much to do with it.

Is it true that the Colt type brass frame is more susceptible to increased wear than the Remington type?

I believe I read that the ratchet teeth ( probably not the proper terminology ) of the Colt style revolvers cylinder, eat into the brass frame on The recoil shield, thus causing an increase cylinder Gap

I am going to venture out a bit and put a pure opinion out.

I have been looking at Powders, 3F Goes F looks a lot like Pydro RS which is labeled as 2F.

777 3F is really fine compared to Pyro P which is 3F.

I was very careful to get 3F when I first started shooting. However, it was 777. No damage as I sent fairly low due to the reports of its energy density (aka more kaboom per measure).

In other words, as long as you keep the loads the same and or sane, I don't see there being any issue with 4F. People are saying 2F works great in BP revolvers. I got some, it works though some issues with load level and delayed kaboom (maybe more powder and a better kaboom, the velocity is pretty low, some chambers 550 fps).

For sure do not shoot 777.

I don't know reasonable loads would have any affect on a brass frame (modern). Metallurgy is vastly better. It would be interesting to see the loading manual for that type gun. Some old one I saw just said fill the chamber and compact the powder with the rammer.

Back