• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4F and small caliber guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GomezMunoz1951

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a .22 pepperbox and a .31 caliber Remington Revolver. They are severely underpowered and was wondering if I used 4f in them would that be OK. Normally I use 3F but want a bit more power out of them. I saw a thread about 4F and Flintlocks and the consensus was to not use them as main loads and only in the pan. Since the smaller calibers do not hold large charges (7 - 12 grains for a .31) (4 Grains for a 22) would a small charge of 4F work and not be dangerous? According to the C&B North American Arms .22, it uses 4F for a charge.

I have a .22 pepperbox and a .31 caliber Remington Revolver. They are severely underpowered and was wondering if I used 4f in them would that be OK. Normally I use 3F but want a bit more power out of them. I saw a thread about 4F and Flintlocks and the consensus was to not use them as main loads and only in the pan. Since the smaller calibers do not hold large charges (7 - 12 grains for a .31) (4 Grains for a 22) would a small charge of 4F work and not be dangerous? According to the C&B North American Arms .22, it uses 4F for a charge.
What do you think was loaded in the first 22lr rounds?

I use 4f in all pistols, adjusting charges accordingly. The fineness of
the powder affects burn rate. The barrel length dictates burn rate needed.
Under 8 inch barrels get 4f. Do not overcharge--use standard charges.
Once tried ,you will never use anything else. Everything else I use 3f BP.
Realize I am odd ball--but old habits with old men die with the men-
not before.

i guess i'm a bastard child in the 4f vs 3f debate because i only burn my own self made powder.
i try to grade my powder by comparing granule size with goex.
that said i use 4f in my .32 southern mountain rifle and it really shines!
i'd not hesitate to use 4f in any pistol. just sneak up on the amount you feed them.

Perfectly safe but if that’s all you’re going to use the 4f for I’m not sure it’s worth the effort. With those tiny powder charges I don’t think you’ll notice much of a difference in velocity. If you have some on hand then go for it. If you have to buy 4f + hazmat I’d just stick with the 3F.

Thanks for the responses... I have been wondering. I was at a gun store and the only thing they had was 4F so I bought a can. Had it setting around and figured I would try it but wasn't sure. Don't want to blow up my guns.

Latest posts

Back