• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.487 PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not using the .487, but am using a .48 from a jeff Tanner mold. I use a .02 ticking patch and wonder lube, and am happy both with accuracy and ease of loading (I don't have to hammer the ball down the bore). Hank

Actually many people who think the are using a 490 ball are actually using a cast ball between 485 and 495. There are a lot of molds out there that are a few thousands under or over the "stated" size or out of round by two or three thousands. And the thing is with PRB as long as you are consistant you will be able to develope an accurate load. :hmm:

Yes, I agree about constistancy. What I'm getting at with a .490 ball and a .015 patch it gets to be a PITA to seat the ball during the day's shooting. If you have the luxury of a range rod and the necessary accoutraments swabbing the barell works great but doing things like a trail walk etc builds up a lot of crud. I don't want to carry much with me if I can help it. I normally run a mop down there maybe followed by a patch or two and it works but still a mess.
I was thinking if I could work up an accurate load with that smaller ball size and a .015 maybe even a .010 patch I could do a lot more shootin and less scrubbin out there as the day wears on. I just don't want to look like some kind of Chimpanzee jumping up and down on the ramrod with the rest of em'

Maybe I am just odd, but I have NO PROBLEM carrying my range rod with me on a woods walk. My knees won't let me do a "Seneca Run", where reducing the things you carry is important. I have a loading jag screwed into the end of the ramrod in the rifle's pipes, that sticks out beyond the muzzle. I can use that effectively to clean the barrel between shots, also.

I have been known to simply remove that wooden ramrod from the rifle, and carry only my range rod on a woods walk. SOLVE the problem! :hmm: :thumbsup:

Carrying different sized balls, and perhaps different thicknesses of patching to use instead of cleaning the barrel seems to me to be going around the barn a long way to get there, NO???

I've been using the .487 you described and really like them. They load easy and seem to be very accurate. I'm going to use them this deer season and they are plenty accurate for deer hunting.

You are correct Sir in your post. It's definately not optimal to carry several different sized balls and patches. What I'm leaning towards is getting the smallest lead ball possible that I can still send out to distance accurately. I like to shoot at distance and tend to get bored at the close ranged stuff. So in my estimation about 5-7 years from now I will have shot enough to finally come up with the exact right load, patch and ball and I'll be sure to make a post about it. At least I'll sure have a heck of a lot of fun doing it............

by comparison....
a lot of us shoot .562 RB in our 58's, which generally deem the .570 ball as Ideal.
the 562 and a .020 patch seem to work in my situation and I like the results.

I would think the 487 and the right patch would be just fine!

for home cast, your alloy will vary the outcome of your cast as well as industry tolerances on the molds. I do know that LEE has a +.003/-.000 tolerance.
I have two lee 490 molds, and against a zeroed and calibrated micrometer and calibers, my molds throw .492 and .493 respectivly with pure lead not from cars.
you will notice were I stated calibrated. anyone can do the zere setting, but you need a certified dimensional object to do the upper end stuff, like a 1 inch true calibration stock, mcmaster carr used to have these!

btw, my 50's like the 493 stuff with a .015 patch true. .018 ticking is a hammer show for me!

I'd shoot the 487's!

I am shooting .18 pillow ticking lubed with olive oil, 70 grns of 3f and 3f also for the prime. Groups touch at 25 yards and are about 1.5" at fifty. Sorry but have not been able to shoot farther as of yet. Hope this helps

I understand what you are trying to do. We all go through the process, sooner or later.

For instance, my brother, Peter, was trying to work up a load for his .36 caliber rifle, with round bottom grooves. He had been trying oversized balls, and patches of .018" but his groups simply were not very good. So, he tried using a smaller diameter ball, and a .012" patch. Groups tightened up right away. He was short of those diameter balls, and the thin patches, so he will be going back out to the range again- probably next week-- to see if he can't get a ball/patch combination that will give him tack driving accuracy that he expects from that barrel.

At least we have this type of luxury and haggling around. Out ancestors got a mold with their rifle and that was about it. Guess that's where the old Kentucky Windage method comes to play. I'd like to see the look on my 5th or 6th Great Grandfather asking him if his mold is a .487, .490 or .whatever....I'm sure it would be the look of "That boy ain't right." This site has been really great. I can't think of a post I have made where I didn't get some really good thoughts and responses. Too bad were so spread out and can't all get together from time to time at one big rezndevous. My estimation is if that happened there would be plenty of snake oil and lies being swapped. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend my day.

Without letting my head get any bigger than it is, I can truthfully say that MLers are generally among the nicest people you will ever meet- lies and stories, all. We are good people, who believe in helping friends, and know that you make new friends by helping someone you haven't met before. :thumbsup:

I have a older lyman mold that just happens to make a ball .486 and I really like it. I can use my wood ram rod for loading without a short starter :thumbsup:

Have you tried an overpowder wad? I have a 36 flintlock that would not shoot unless I used a .350 ball and .022 or a .358 and .015 patching and had to clean between shots and still had to hammer the load in. When I started to use a wool felt OP wad I could go down to a .010 and still get very good groups and loading it all day long squirrel hunting was a breeze.

Latest posts

Back