• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

44" swamped colerain barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapierre1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Like the title says that is what I have come in possession of, Colerain barrel in .36. It is a barrel and that's all there is to it, not vent, sight dovetails, nothing but the barrel. I have never built a rifle before but have put some kits together and this looks to be a whole nother animal. Any and all suggestions as to what to do first and how to do it would be more than appreciated. Does someone sell a semi-inletted stock that would let me get started on this project? What size/maker/style lock, flintlock of course, would be appropriate? Should I send it to someone and have them build the rifle? Got a TOW catalog but until I know what to look for first it really isn't much help except it makes me drool over the possibilities. An ignorant mind is what you are dealing with here and ignorant minds need to know. I'm one of these guys that can take about anything apart but the hard part is putting it back together again correctly, so I've got that going for me. Thanks for any and all help with this rifle. I'd rather not screw up the barrel if I can help it. Imalarduss

Hi Ima,
That is great news and take a breath. What do you want with respect to a gun? Do you have any ideas? Is it a rifled barrel? Smoothbore? Do you want a historically representative gun or just a shooter? There certainly are folks who can help. Dave Keck (Knob Mountain Muzzleloading, Berwick, PA) will inlet the barrel, drill the ramrod hole, and profile the stock for you. But you have to have some idea what you want. Take a moment to do that. Maybe look at some books and references for 18th and 19th century firearms, and think about what you want. Then after some reflection, move forward.

dave

Thanks Dave, I don't really want it to represent any one style or school and am not into lots of fancy embellishments like carvings and inlays. I do like the way they look but I want this to be a using rifle that I wouldn't be horrified if it got scratched up from being used and used hard or wet from being in the rain as down here we can get LOTS of rain. It is a rifled barrel and I know these barrels have a reputation for accuracy and as much as anything want it built to that end. Don't we all. Appreciate the information, Ima

So just a good ole hunting and shooting gun no fuss no muss..right. Try pecatonica, let Dick know what you have and they will inlet the bbl, lock, trigger for you. You might have to send bbl to them though.

Beaver T.

Knob mountain muzzloading, his web site shows ALOT of profiles. Pick one send him your barrel, and a hundred dollar check, tell him to pick you out a piece of maple(#4 or5will make a nice rifle), and when he's done, he'll tell you how much is owed, and mail it back.....you can have others here do the same....I'm just saying I know DAVE. Wait time is around 6 months. But that gives you time to readreadread, and buy some tools.....and the parts can come from Dave or chambers, or others.......

Welcome to the world for pure enjoyment of making something that can't be shipped in from China!!!!

BTW, southern mountain rifles are least expensive and hard working rifles.....and your caliber is just right!

Marc n tomtom

I second Kaintuck's advice. Mark, at Jack's Mountain gunstocks can do the same sort of thing, as can others. Welcome to the fold.

Thanks all. I like the southern rifle style as I have a couple others like that and another in the works yet. Guess this one is gonna get about the same treatment. Man, who ever knew it could be this difficult? Am I excited or what?

Go over to Utube and watch Duelist's step by step videos about putting together several precarved kits. This way you can get an idea of what you are facing.

The key to success is to take your time. Every time you start doing sloppy work because you have lost your focus, STOP, put down your tools and come back later.

My first gun was pretty sloppy, I discovered Optivisors to help me see to inlet parts on my second gun and things went much easier.

Besides not being able to see, case of oldtimers disease, I've got the shakes, call them essential tremors, and they get essentially bad when I try to do something that requires fine motor skills. Can run a piece of sandpaper OK, probably because I shake 80mph, but anything that requires some degree of dexterity is beyond me. Ya'll have been really helpful. Thanks to you.

I was going to recommend the Track "Beck" rifle. Unfortunately it is only offered in B&C profiles. Your barrel is likely an A profile.

I would contact David Keck at Knob Mountain.
Link knob Mountain Beck set

If you don't see what you want just give us a
call or email. We will put one together to
your specifications

The reason I recommend the Beck or a similar rifle is that they are comfortable for most shooters.

Since this is likely an A profile barrel the Beck may not work as well. Confirm what profile your barrel is.
penn%2044%27%27.jpg

Sometimes finishing the rifle with proper architecture may be difficult if it was designed for the B and C profile. Ask about that.

If the Beck stock is not the best for your profile, ask what is.

I would get as much done as possible just leaving the final fitting, shaping and finish to you. I would even checkout a builder assembling or partially assembling the rifle for you. I know a big pretty big name builder who may can do that for you. PM me if interested. Keck also may have a recommendation.

Builders are busy folks, they do this for a living. They would rather start out with good quality stuff, not screwed up. A builder that would do this kind of work is in a sense doing you a favor. I guess what I'm saying is, do some research, have an idea of what you want, be brief, business like but cordial. Simply put do not BS them.

I come up with the "A" profile. A rifle builder I am not nor am I handy with tools but I am smart enough to realize that. I can shoot them with some of the best of them and I want this to be something that will shoot and something I am proud of. I got this barrel from the wife of a deputy I used to work with and I want this to be something he would be proud to own and shoot so I want it to be right. Your help in every way, shape and form is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Back