• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

409 For final cleaning too?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throckmorton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies on my Windex thread for swabbing.

A fella who has shot a lot of bp said he uses nothing but 409 cleaner for swabbing as well as final cleaning of his bores at home,then coats with bore butter,etc.

Anybody heard of using it for final cleaning?
Thanks!!
Mike the newbie

I have NOT, Mike. But I did try the stuff for the first time yesterday and it works very well. First patch came out black, the second light gray with a little black streaking. Other solvents I tried afterwards didn't bring out any more fouling.

If there was a chance I might be unable to do a thorough cleaning for a spell, I'd certainly run a few 409 patches as an interim measure. Combined with a brush, I think you get 98% of the fouling or more.
Bob

Just thought I'd mention that alcohol is pretty good for cleaning burnt powder and it drys up fast for follow on shooting. I have been using it for years and very satisfied. Use warm water and soap for final clean up. Dry barrel and apply T/C 1000 or olive oil. If storing the gun, I put a few drops of light crude oil..[3n1]. P.S. If your bore is really giving you a fit loading...then, put a patch with 1000 down the barrel after loading...careful not to arm the piece while performing this proceedure. Works for me...enjoy!

Mr Throckmorton, Sir--I was told by a guy out in the BP shop in Cottage Grove to try 409 some years ago. I shoot black powder ca'tridge at cowboy--well I did till Uncle Sugar cordially directed me to spend a year in Georgia--and find it cleans up well and a light oil is sufficient to keep your guns in great shape for long term storage. I did it, it works.

Rick,I lived in vancouver for about fourty years,maybe our paths have crossed.do ya still shoot cowboy?

Throckmorton said:
Thanks for all the replies on my Windex thread for swabbing.

A fella who has shot a lot of bp said he uses nothing but 409 cleaner for swabbing as well as final cleaning of his bores at home,then coats with bore butter,etc.

Anybody heard of using it for final cleaning?
Thanks!!
Mike the newbie

My buddy started using 409 back in 85, and has been very happy with it for a cleaner. I just never used it, cause windex was always in the house.

I've used 409 as a cleaner ever since I built my rifle in '86. I wash it good with 409 and then dry it good and lube the bore with bore butter or tallow, and it is good to go until the next time. The barrel is now 20 years old with maybe 3000 shots through it.

When I get ready to put the rifle away for a bit, I take the barrel out and take the nipple out and wash the barrel good with as hot of water as I can get with 409 in it. I run a couple patches thru it to get the bore dry and let the heat dry it. Lube the bore ever so lightly with your lube and its good for go.
Bill

Afterthought: I have found out that if you have your bore pretty well seasoned with tallow base lube like Bore Butter or that TC1000 stuff, the 409 will take part of it out.

Yea, I thought you sounded familiar. :thumbsup: Uncle Sugar is done w/me so I'm coming home, will pro'ly be @ the June or July Sunday match. You still busting caps w/the Orygun Cowboys?

Back