• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

405g 45 cal bullets in a 1-21" barrel ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, a friend that doesn't shoot anymore is lending me his Gibbs 45 cal match rifle with the fast twist, 1-21". He doesn't have the mold anymore that he made the 500+g bullets with. I have several .445 hollow base 405g bullets. Would these shoot accurately in that fast twist??
Thanks

Hello, a friend that doesn't shoot anymore is lending me his Gibbs 45 cal match rifle with the fast twist, 1-21". He doesn't have the mold anymore that he made the 500+g bullets with. I have several .445 hollow base 405g bullets. Would these shoot accurately in that fast twist??
Thanks
You won’t know until you try. Had a shooting play date with a buddy a while back. He brought his Pedersoli Gibbs and I brought a TC with a GM LRH barrel with a slower twist (1-30). We both brought our sizing setup so we could try each other’s bullets, with the Gibbs requiring a bullet diameter about .003” smaller than the GM LRH, as I recall (I have notes somewhere, but did not look). Short story, neither gun was at it’s happiest with the other gun’s bullets. Buddy had two different ones, one about 550 grains and the other just under 600 grains. My GM didn’t care for either compared to the approximately 410 grain paper patched bullets I normally shoot. The 410 grain bullets opened up the groups when shot out of the Gibbs. All the bullets were flat base shot over wads. Remember the Gibbs powder charge sweet spot being near 100 grains with the heavier bullets, while the GM’s was 80-90 grains of powder under the 410 grain bullet. With the Gibbs tilting the scale 3, maybe 4 pounds more than my TC, it was easy on the shoulder with the heavier charges and bullets.

Should be no problem shooting them as the 4570 govt shot 405gr in a 1:22, I believe.
As you’re aware, your .445 might be a little small in diameter for the Gibbs- but they should easily expand.
Good luck

Back