• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 squirrle rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwilliams

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a .32 cal. squirrle gun. Traditions has the Crocket 32" barrel .I've found it for $365 and the Deer Hunter 28" barrel found it for $265 . Will the short barrel be accurate ?
Thanks for any help.

I doubt barrel length will have much to do with accuracy. If memory serves the Deer Hunter only has a single trigger, and in my hands the double set trigger on the Crockett makes a huge difference for smacking small targets.

Should be as accurate as a 32" barrel. I have a
.50 Mowrey Georgia Tree gun with a 24" barrel and it shoots 2" groups all day long at 100 yds.
Your gonna love that Crockett ....I had one awhil back and it could cloverleaf at 50 yds as long as I did my part.....they dont cost an arm and leg to shoot either....

I would think that you would get more enjoyment out of the 32 inch barrel. It is closer to the length that old timers used. On custom rifles you would see barrels much longer then this with 38 inches being the minimum. 42 and 44 inches are not uncommon. Look at track of the wolf or other outlets to see other rifles that might influence your decision.

PJC

for 365 you may look for a used thompson center and get an IBS barrel in 32 or 36 cal. As a fellow Illinois resident I use this set up. Squirrel goes until Febuary if memory serves and we are in the heat of deer season. bide your time for a deal. I think you can get an IBS in 32 for 180 or so and maybe a tc hawken or renegade around 200 if you buy them right. Just my 2 cents.

I've looked at buying something and getting a barrel to swap , but I realy want a new gun ready to shoot . I got a CVA I bought back in 1980 .50 cal. kit and it's a nice gun ,I don't see a CVA .32 ? Dixie has some nice .32's . I may just go ahead and buy a Kentucky from Dixie and get it over with , been looking for about 3 months now and it's starting to give me a headache :( ! Was a nice Crocket across the river from me on Gunbroker and I let myself get out bid :doh: , it had 300 balls,powder,caps,ball starter,patches,ball bag and flask ready to shoot,went for $401 .
Thanks for all the feedback.

Accuracy is not dependant on barrel length. Barrel length does affect velocity and sight radius. The longer sight radius offered by a longer barrel will tighten groups when shooting iron sights.

Regards,
TC

hope you get on line soon there is a beauty on gunbroker for cheap. it expires at 720 pm central time on 11/7/08 there was a nice 50 cal renegade the same guy was letting go.

If you can spend about $600 and aren't into reenacting, the Cabelas Blue Ridge rifle in 32 caliber is a nice rifle. I bought one in percussion a few years ago on sale and I love shooting that gun.

It is accurate, and I have not had any trouble with it.

Outdoorman

I bought a CVA Bobcat .36 with a 26" barrel,new $200 and trying to get a CVA .32 barrel to swap out . If I don't like this gun I saw a .36 cal.33.5" barrel full stock Shenandoah I liked for $459.

Got my Bobcat :grin: last week from the Possible Shop, $200 . Getting it out tomrrow if not to windy to set the sites and see if I can knock a squirrel out of a tree .

Magilla said:
Got my Bobcat :grin: last week from the Possible Shop, $200 . Getting it out tomrrow if not to windy to set the sites and see if I can knock a squirrel out of a tree .

And if that doesn't work, load it up and see if you can shoot that squirrel out of the tree... :haha: :wink:

Just joking of course, I too have a .32 caliber squirrel rifle (never shot it though), back in the day I owned a .32 T/C Cherokee and I just adored it. I could carry that gun from sun up to sun down and never get tired.

Well being half blind plus it was cold & windy I did some shootn . Had to paint rear sight white and front sight red so I could see them . At 29 yards with 50 gr. it shot low & right. 55 gr. got bulls eye first shot and three more in a 3.25" group :redface: . 60 gr. anther bulls eye first shot and three more in 3.75" group :redface: . Now this was a very scientific shoot useing a step ladder :shake: as a rest,hornady roundballs and crisco as lube ,shot about 30 rounds total and last ball went in as easy as first .
Love the smoke and at dusk the fire. The little gun has a cool sound when it fires.
And yes I may have to just swing it at um :)

I bought a Crockett and I use 0 buck shot which is .320 and 30 grns of Goex and .018 ticking lubed with Wonder Lube. You can get a lot of shots out of a 5lb. box of Hornaday buck shot. That load was given to me by some very knowledgeable shooter at the local muzzle loading club. I got in the winners circle in the first 3 matches I shot with this load. I have old eyes also but I am lucky I use 2.75 reading glasses and I use 1.50 reading glasses for shooting the sights come in real sharp but the target is a little fuzzy.

I have 2.50 reading glasses and like you the target is fuzzy , plus it was a 100 yard target,I guess for scopes. I don't know what the difference would be at 29 yards but I'm going to get a squirrel silhouette to try next. The Bobcat is a .36. The .32 barrel I bought would'n fit , so now to find a stock for it .I got a scope for the .36 but the hammer hits,do I bend the hammer or does someone make offset mounts ?

Back