• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 caliber barrel lengths

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncsurveyor

36 Cal.
Reaction score
looking to put a 32 cal (48 twist) together in another underhammer.

When does the velocity gain versus barrel length dividend start to diminish in a 32.

Beyond that, is the real benefit to a longer barrel sight radius only?

I got a current stock that would support a 32" barrel without any modification other than a few key slots, but a 42" would need a ramrod thimble towards the front.

thanks for your help

Personal choice, as I see it. It depends on whether you like long or short barrels. Lengths over about 30" to 35" show smaller velocity gains as the barrel gets longer. But that's not important. What's important is balance and accuracy; don't worry over velocity.

Hi
I built a 32 1 in 48 about 40 years ago, I used a Douglas barrel 34 inches long that I won a lot of matches with from 25 yds. to 100yds. I always used a heavy load of 3f powder 2100 fps.
Hermit

I got a 42" .32 cal GM barrel that's hanging in the gun rack in my shop waiting to be built.

The stock has the barrel inlet and the RR hole is drilled.

I got the barrel taped in the stock hopefully to keep it straight. Until it's time to start work on it.

I have a CVA Squirrel .32 with a 25" (?) barrel and a TVM-built Sitting Fox kit .32 that has a 42" barrel. For what it's worth, I don't load either to maximum because it tears up too much meat, so if this was my gun you were building, I would consider barrel length purely for the sake of balance and sight radius, and wouldn't put a second-worth of thought to worrying about the velocity. I'd say see if there is any way you can handle some small caliber rifles with different barrel lengths, and see what you like. Cause in the end, it doesn't make a but of difference if any of us "approve" of your choice, because the only one you have to please with this is YOU. :thumbsup:

For what it's worth, the best way I can describe my CVA is that it handles like a very light weight and compact .22 LR kids gun, and is very fast on target, but almost too small and light. My 42" .32 on the other hand, feels great, and hangs on target almost by itself, but doesn't track a moving rabbit well at all when compared to the CVA. With the CVA, I track a running rabbit with the gun, and fire a second or so after the rabbit stops as soon as my sights settle on it, but slower more precise shots at longer ranges aren't as good as with the 42"er. The 42" is the opposite. EXCELLENT for slower aimed shots, but I don't even bother trying to get on target til after the game stops.

You ask a good question. I've been considering getting a .32 for some time. I started thinking about precisely the question you have posted, i.e.: how much bbl is really useful, given the smaller powder charge. Initially, I was leaning towards at least a 42" bbl, and possibly more. The longer, slender barrels provide more "historical appeal", but I'm not sure they are ideal for a dedicated offhand target rifle.
As already pointed out, longer barrels bring other features to a rifle that may or may not be desirable. One thing I have been wondering is how well I can "hold" various barrel profiles for offhand target shooting.
FWIW: I've walked the offhand line at Friendship and don't see a lot of the serious target shooters using long, slender barrels on their dedicated target rifles. My non-scientific observations may not hold up to rigorous scrutiny, but that is the impression I've gotten.
If I go through with my .32 project, I'm thinking a 38" "B" profile swamped barrel might be an excellent compromise of length and weight. I would enjoy getting some more experienced shooters comments on that idea.

I have two similar .32's and I agree with your assessment. I use my .32 CVA squirrel during the early squirrel season when the leaves are still on the trees. Most of my shots are less than 25 yards. Once the leaves fall I switch to the 41" Pedersoli Pennsylvania for the longer shots in the more open forest. My third .32 has a 28" barrel on a T/C Renegade frame. It is set up strictly for target shooting as the 1" across the flats barrel is very heavy. It is a tack driver out to 50 yards, and I have won several shoots with it. The wind does play havoc with the smaller ball, so I have to watch the flags carefully.

FYI the fellow in this .32 Hunting Video is a member of our forum and his rifle is a Pedersoli which in that model has a 39" barrel in .32. He uses a "light" load of 20 grains of 3Fg to drop a squirrel at quite a distance. I would have thought he would use a load of at least 30 grains, but hey don't mess with success.

LD

I'll be using it for hunting, and likely will tang or peep sight it, which works better for my old far sighted eyes.

As long as I can put the front sight at about 38" (figure a 13" LOP and at least 25" barrel, I'm good.)

read a lot of comments that a round ball should get half a turn before exit, so 24" minimum if that is the case. But I don't know if that's campfire talk or proven in fact.

I got a fast twist 45 that is 25" long (but its scoped - shhhhh) and a round ball 45 and 54 at about 32" each. 60 and 56 twist respectively.

I find them both plenty accurate - but with the 32, I realize I need to be a bit more accurate than minute of deer shoulder.

The 32 is round rifled and 13/16 straight octagon.

I'm starting to have some flashbacks to college statics thinking moment arms and cantilever to put some scientific edge on comparing the swing to my shorter round ball guns, before I actually mock it up for hands on feel.

one of my .45s has a 25" 15/16" barrel and is a dandy off hand rifle. The only .32 I have is a flint Tn SMR. Barrel is a swamped Rice round bottom barrel 38" long. The rifle is light though not as light as my flint .36 SMR with a straight 38" barrel. The .32 is a 50 yard one-holer with 40 grains of 3F. I'm still trying to find an accurate load for squirrels that doesn't need that much powder.

Latest posts

Back