• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 cal short starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stude 283

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings,
Does anyone know where to find a 1/4" short starter?I seem to be able to find 1/4" ramrods,but as yet no short starters.I have several 5/16",but they bind in the patch and I'm afraid forcing it may damage crown.

I'm pretty sure my local Home Depot carries 1/4" brass rod stock. That should make a nice short starter.

Dan

Hardly traditional, but for my 32's, I made short starters from high density nylon I got some 3/4 round about 3 inches and turned half the length of it down to about .28.

Most hardware stores carry a small selection of round brass and /or aluminum stock for hobbies etc.

I made mine from a piece of aluminum rod from a pistol rod. Made a muzzle guard & handle and it works fine.

If there is a wood working store or a good lumber yard in your area they often carry 2 or 2 1/2 inch wooden balls.

One of those along with a couple of short lengths of 1/4" wooden dowel would allow you to make a nice short starter for just a few bucks and a little time.

Normally I would say that people must never use one of those wooden dowels for a ramrod but for the short lengths used in a short starter they will work fine.

If you are going to get a ramrod just get it a little long, cut off the excess and use that. That is what I usually do. You can get a good size wooden knob from a craft store for the handle.

Cains Outdoors sell short starter rods. I would recommend one with nylon for the rods. Brass in that small of a bore will end up with crown damage in no time. The one I have is 5/16 and I am able to use it without any major problems. Remember in 32, everything you try to put in the barrel is almost bigger than the hole in the barrel.

Back