• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 cal rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Al

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Which .32 cal rifle can you fellas reccomend? I've been thinking about getting one to do some late season squirrel hunting. The only one I can find any info on brand new is the Traditions Crockett.

I have the pedersoli s270 in 32 and it is a shooting machine. I will try and put a link to it.[url] http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/ArmiCategoria.aspx?CategoriaId=205&lang=en[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The Blue Ridge is highly regarded at just over $500. It's also available in flint for an extra $50 or so.

The Crockett is quite a bit cheaper, but they have issues. I've fought with mine just long enough that it's likely to move away from home, to be replaced with the Blue Ridge. After I put a L&R replacement lock on the Crockett to deal with the lock issues, then dealt with the breech issues, I'd have almost as much money as starting out right with the Blue Ridge.

I've always heard that it's made by Pedersoli, but I'm repeating gossip. Look at the Pedersoli catalog, and you might join in the gossip circle, however.

What kind of probs are frequent with the Traditions? I'm new, but I thought that Traditions made pretty decent stuff. What are your opinions on the CVA .32? I know where I can get a used one.

If you can get a CVA at a fair price AND if the bore hasn't been ruined by neglect, go for it. Neither CVA nor Traditions are what one could call quality guns but the Traditions Crockett has some very weird breeching. They look like a lot of gun for the money but often turn out to be a lot of trouble. If you can swing the price for a Blue Ridge it is a much better gun and yes, they are made by Pedersoli, no rumor, it's stamped on the barrel.

I really like my TC Cherokee in 32.They can be found with a little patience on Gunbroker,Gunsamerica,and Auctionarms.At times they can be a little high price but are really nice.My next 32 will probably be a custom flint.

In addition to the wierd breeching, the Crockett can have some real mainspring issues. I went through four of them on mine until I diagnosed the problem and seem to have fixed it. More than you want to know having never seen one, but there's a little "tit" on the side of the mainspring that's supposed to go into a corresponding hole on the side plate. Problem is, the hole is too small so the spring sits at a cant. There's also a guide groove in the side plate corresponding to a ridge in the spring, also for guide purposes I presume. But the ridge is too wide and drags on the spring as the spring flexes. Relieving the hole in the side plate and narrowing the ridge on the main spring solved both issues so the spring rides true now, but before that it was prone to breaking or popping off completely when you removed the side plate. The one time it didn't break, it blew a big chunk out of the stock just in front of the lock plate. Careful epoxy work fixed that.

These issues occurred after the gun was a couple of years old, and Traditions did everything but laugh at me when they started cropping up.

A friend who has one had a new problem crop up. The metal in his hammer appears to be soft, and it kept bending further and further out of alignment the more he used it, to the point it wouldn't fire any more.

To my way of thinking, it looks like there's a pretty good reason L&R sells replacement locks for them. Even at $95 a pop they're probably a pretty good investment.

Love the gun and used it lots, and maybe that's at the heart of the problem. It's just not up to 1000 or so shots a year for a few years.

I've got a .32 Traditions that I bought used for my son for about $100. The bore is a little rough from previous neglect, but it still shoots very good. It keeps under 1" at 25 yards. We didn't care for the bluing and factory stock finish, so we stripped it down, refinished the wood and browned the barrel and furniture. It looks much better now.

It definately is a low end rifle, but it shoots well and now looks good. Can't ask for more than that for the price.

What do you guys think would be a fair price for a used CVA .32 in average condition? It would be an internet buy so I couldn't personally inspect the bore.

No clue on price, but I should chip in that my 36 cal CVA Bobcat has held up a lot better than the Crockett. The biggest difference you'll notice is handling. The Crockett is longer and sleaker, while the CVA is shorter and more compact. The CVA Bobcat has a pretty course single trigger, but that's easy to smooth up.

Here is a nice one, check out the link!
[url] http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84487389[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Big_Al said:
Yea, I saw that one. Is $150.00 steep, or a good deal?

Actually the current minimum bid is $155 - plus there is a $25 shipping charge on the gun. I don't know if the gun cost $180 when it was new.

As to whether or not it's a good deal, seems a little high to me but I don't know that you'll get one cheaper. My (limited) experience with CVA is that they are a little picky about shooting, but keep that flash channel clear and it will work fine. Might have to mess with it a little bit to get it figured out but you can make it work.

.32 is a fun little caliber, shoots dirty as all get out but excellent for squirrels.

Spot

I think I'm gonna hold off and see what Bert has to offer. If that's a Penn Scout model, I may be in business.

paid 260 for my t/c cherokee, with a box of fixins to go with it,plus tax, Ive heard that this is a real good deal? It is my most enjoyable smoke-pole to shoot! If you can find one,there definatly a qaulity rifle.

Back