• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2012 deer season is a nail biter...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
It starts with a dandy buck beaded down in the middle of a field some 500 yards away at 2pm last Tuesday afternoon. A little forky is keeping him company and a fist full of does are near by... I used a drainedge ditch to get to 150-ish yards and then its just wide open field.
He thinks hes hid in a little tuft of grass so with nowhere else to go I start waliking his direction, quartering "past him". At about 110 yards he stands up, ready to roll. Hes looking straight at me. I take a knee, put the sight on that white throat patch, and BANG! (I shoot a TC Renegade with a RB Barrel, 90grs of FFG and a home made .535 PRB and .015 pillow ticking.)
Off he runs...
I go over to where he jumped the fence and found a MAJOR blood trail. I (obviously) misjudged his angle of retreat and looked for a continuation of said bloodtrail for an hour before realizing that he zaged right not left in going over the bank and the search is back on...
50 yards later I jump him. manure he isnt dead.
I take a few steps and see him through dome light brush. Its getting dark. Its starting to rain. I am starting to panic. I pull up aim at a hole in the brush and BANG. He walks away.
I reload and go to last sight and nothing. No blood. Zilch.
Casey, the ranch hand, comes down to help me look and nothing. Flashlights in the rain .. NOTHING.
"Ill come back tomorrow".
I cant sleep. Sick feeling in my guts. Please God!!
The next morning the rain has washed EVERYTHING away. I start a zig zag pattern on my side of the river and after two hours I am confident that I have looked everywhere possible on this side of the river. The ranch owner, Woddy, comes down to see how Im doing. He pulls out a pair of chest waders and crosses the river to assist in the search. Looks down river side. Nothing. Starts on the upriver side and up stands my deer. he takes two or three steps and goes down. Woody cuts his throat and the search is over. (Thank you God!!)
In 32 years of deer hunting I have only lost 1 deer (near 20-ish years ago and I still feel sucker punched over that one).
The 1st shot went in high on the left shoulder and exited high right taking out one lung. The second shot hit a little far back. He was hit hard but still had enough ooomph to get accross that little river and out of sight, proving this to me; Prayers are awnsered... And the deer was found.

20121205_114714-1.jpg

2012muzzleloaderhunt011.jpg

20121207_115442.jpg

Terrific buck there Watts, congratulations...both for the buck and your persistence in finding him !
:hatsoff:

Nice deer, thanks for sharing the story. I've lost a few deer in over 40 years of hunting. I'll often tell hunters, what my father-in-law told me when I lost a deer. He said, son, "It's going to happen now and then. You're not the only one that has to eat on this earth. The critters are going to enjoy it." I still hate to lose a deer, but I can find comfort in his words. My father-in-law died, one year ago, on the opening day of rifle season. He taught me to hunt, and appreciate life.

What a beautiful deer, congradulations.

Mike Brines said:
Nice buck!! I really like those Euro mounts.

I have a couuple of shoulder mounts too and MIGHT have done this guy that way also but for the $550.00 differance and a fun "day project" I like the euro mounts as well... :grin:

a fine looken trophy!

how did the meat turn out? spoiled?

this year was my first hunt, im real glad mine decided to die in the open. the bugger did run around 200 yards without leaving any kinda blood trail so i had a good scare for a minute or two.

-matt

Matt85 said:
a fine looken trophy!

how did the meat turn out? spoiled?

-matt

Actually he was alive (just barly) the next day.. Meat was fine. I was prepared for bone-sour as it was only in the high 30's over night...
Due to a successfull elk season (my two boys ewach took cows during the Aug agracultural season) it had already been determined that if successfull..; I dropped the entire deer off at Geitners to be made into peperoni. 80lbs of meat all boned out...

Nice buck Watsy. Those suckers often amaze me how far they can go while suffering from horrific wounds. Way to stay on him.

Jeff

Back