• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 Colt flasks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a Colt pattern flask at the local gun shop today. It isn't an antique by any stretch of the imagination. The only marking is "Made in the USA" just under the brass spring stopper. In the below photos, the flask on the left is the new flask, the flask on the right is a Pedersoli reproduction. The new flask is smaller then the Pedersoli, but is noticeably heavier. It is made of much heavier gauge copper. Also, on the new flask, the pattern is only on the front of the flask, while on the Pedersoli, it is on both sides.

27639476268_91157f2f02_o.jpg

41468878302_f3a51d4ce8_o.jpg

That one's too big. TOW says 6" overall length, which matches the size of the Pedersoli I have. The new flask is only 5-1/4" overall length. Also, the pattern on my new find is much sharper than either the Pedersoli, or the pic at TOW. The pic at TOW looks exactly like my Pedersoli flask, which I would suspect is where they're getting them.

I'd love to find out who made the new flask, though.

Nice find.

Its time to go to your local hardware store and use the thread gauges to determine the threads on your flask. All my Italian flasks use a metric thread. I assume you tried the spout from your Pedersoli flask.

I have one from the late 1960s that looks much like that new flask. Have to look to make sure, but I think mine is Italian.

Think I have it figured out. If I'm right, it's a Colt W5047 flask, made to go with the Colt 2nd Gen pistols. Considering I paid less than 10 bucks for it, I'll live with the missing original spout. I wonder where I can find a slanted spout such as it would have come with. I tried my Italian spouts, and they fit, but they wouldn't be "right".

"I wonder where I can find a slanted spout such as it would have come with."

If you ever find a source for them let us know please. I have cased some of my repros with all the accessories and would like to have the correct spouts.

Latest posts

Back