• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st build attempt - Fusil de Chasse, Tulle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks to the examples set by 'newbie builders' here and encouraged by many, I just set out on my first build. It will be a non-historically correct left-handed French Fusil de Chasse from the Tulle factory.

It will have a 44" barrel, ~1/3rd octagonal (with the transition flats, to the single wedding band and then tapered round. The stock will be walnut and it is not the true pied de vache profile. The hardware will be iron. I bought the kit 'used', but unbuilt from a forum member who bought it years ago and never touched it. I couldn't pass it up for the price. And being left-handed ... I decided to make it a true lefty, even though they didn't exist in this configuration, for this arm.

Less the lock 'hand', I am trying to mimic an arm produced from the Tulle factory between 1721 (when this barrel config took over) to 1741 (when they change lock styles). I have been using the historical books by Bouchard and Hamilton as my guide.

I will say I, even though I bought a few books on building muzzleloading firearms, I don't think I would have attempted this without Mike Brooks' excellent Gunbuilding Tutorial. Thank you Mike :thumbsup: ! Also many thanks to Tg and Okwaho (Tom Patton) who have given me advice on the model and other specifics.

So here she is ... what started as a kit from Ray Franks at Sitting Fox. I made up a true barleycorn sight and it is silver soldered 4.3" from the muzzle per Bouchard's book. I still have a long way to go, but the lockplate is inletted, the tenons are on and inletted, and the buttplate is 90% done. Man, that was work! How do you ever inlet a fancier buttplate with many 'wings' to the finial end?

Sitting Fox 20-gauge Fusil kit:
Fusil-Kit1.jpg

Shown with it is a great knife I just got from Two-Bellys. And yes ... I took the sheath apart and re-sewed it to be left-handed too!

Davis left-handed lock:
Davis-Lock.jpg

Rifle Shop French Lock:
Rifle-Shop-Lock.JPG

My soon-to-be French Lock:
Fusil-Lock.jpg

It started as a Caywood trade lock. I find their locks well made and extremely fast. Anyone who has ever seen my Caywood Wilson shoot can't believe how fast it fires.

The lockplate was round-faced when I got it and there was no flat on the hammer/cock. I will also add the TVLLE to the lockplate.

So ... with that ... wish me luck and I'll be sure to post photos when done! One thing I will do is make her as trim as trim can be.

Looks like you have a plan that should work well, you probably don't have to get real deep into faceting the bottom of the pan, from the pics I have seen in Neumans books this varied somewhat, I kind of V'd the bottom of the Davis lock on mine either way would be ok I like the size of that lock that is my biggest complaint about the locks available for French guns is that they are all rather small, keep us posted I think you have a winner, Neumans "battle weapons of the American Rev."has a lot of pics of French locks in it also. Glad everything came together for you.

Back