• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll work, you may have to increase the charge to achieve the same results and you may find more fouling. If that's all that's available it comes down to using it or staying home. We may all have to look at alternative granulations and brands soon.

Ive been shooting FF in the .54 and the .50 im just curious. See it available fairly regular. What about in a .58 or .69? Just trying to learn more about the larger bores and powder for them. Currently shooting a tc hawken in .54 with prb and 70 gr ff

Not for hunting. Just fun shootin. .530 horns wonderlubed .010 no overwad. Shoots good at the 20 to 70 yards i play around at. Been shooting bitter oranges that have been falling off a neglected tree in the yard. Makes a nice juicy splat! If was to hunt with the old .54 would probably bump up to 90 or 100 grain

If that's all I could find, I'd make it work! I burn 2F in .50, .54 and .58 with no issues. 1F might be a bit chunky to measure in smaller loads, but it would go boom and the fun would still be there. The large bore muskets and fusils love the big grained stuff. They were built for it.

Fg works the same as the rest for me. Some of my guns really like it, but they all will work with it. You may need to up your load to get the same velocity. It works especially well when it's all you've got!

Ive been shooting FF in the .54 and the .50 im just curious. See it available fairly regular. What about in a .58 or .69? Just trying to learn more about the larger bores and powder for them. Currently shooting a tc hawken in .54 with prb and 70 gr ff
The only problem that could crop up might be inconsistent ignition. Those large kernels might not make it under the nipple in a tc or patent style breech. If you’re using good quality caps it’s not likely to be a problem but who knows. I do know that 2f substitutes like Pyrodex, Triple 7, etc, require care in loading (bumping the stock to settle the powder under the nipple before loading the bullet.) But I do that as a habit anyway.

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of it once and was using it for regular rifle loads, but tried it in larger muzzleloaders and had no problems. 70-80 grains in a 58 or 62 caliber under a prb and you are good to go.

I think you'll be okay using it in the larger calibers. It may prove unreliable when used in the squirrel calibers, say, .32 through .40.

I just talked with Crag Kirkland, owner of Bear River Powder, a master Goex distributor. He said the Quigley Match shooters used Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F in their .50 (?) caliber black powder cartridge guns, but wanted a slower powder. Hence Olde Eynsford 1F was produced. He said it appears to have finer granulation than Goex 1F. He has both Goex 1F and OE 1F in stock, plus a whole bunch of cannon grade powder. He is sold out of everything else now. I ordered a pound of OE 1F, to be added to an order we had in place before Goex shut down. A friend and I will fly up to Evanston in a couple of weeks for the powder. I will test it in my .54 Hawkens and .58 flint Leman. It may be a month or two before I can shoot it. Winter and all.
He saw a Hodgdon press release yesterday that said they had sold the Goex plant and brand name in 2021.

The only problem that could crop up might be inconsistent ignition.

I once tried 1 1/2Fg Swiss on a 20ga/62 cal. fowler. Almost took a railroad flare to get ignition. Personally, I would never consider any real bp coarser than 2Fg for use in any shoulder fired ml. I like reliability.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, you can shoot 3f in the larger bores. You have to cut the charge a bit and the benefit is less fouling. 1F? Try it. It may work well, it might not, it may foul worse than a leaky Exxon tanker.

Back