• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1981 CVA Big Bore .54 Refurbishments

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does card off the excess stain when dry mean? Do you mean sand? or what is card? WB

Carding is a term for rubbing the surface with a course bit of cloth or, sometimes steel wool.

Cloth like burlap or denim is often used because its course weave tends to scrape the surface better than a tightly woven fabric.

I mentioned steel wool but it is usually reserved for carding the rust off of steel parts during the browning/bluing process.

I do not recommend using steel wool to card stains on wood.

The problem with steel wool on wood is small particles of the steel fibers will break off and become trapped in the woods grain.

If this happens and your stain has any water at all in it, when you apply the next coat of stain, the water will cause the steel fibers to rust, leaving tens of thousands of little freckles all over the surface.

Nobody likes to see a gunstock with a freckle complexion problem. :rotf:

Thank you very much. This may be a little off this thread, but you obviously know how to do these things. I ordered a Track-of-wolf adjustable height rear sight kit for this CVA Hawken rifle. I think I will leave the barrel blue for now. Please give me your advice of what finishing the raw cast sight will need? Sanding and Bluing? Thank you, WB

Opinions vary, but once you take the sight down to 600/800 (automotive black sandpaper)you can use any cold blue. Brownells oxpho-blue is really durable as such products go. Just degrease with acetone first.

PD

Yes, the question is a bit off track.

That said, for a small part like your sight, I would use a fast bluing solution like Birchwood Casey Perma-Blue.

It's inexpensive and fast and any color difference between it and the barrel won't be noticed.

I might mention, Birchwood Casey "Super Blue" is made for use on modern alloy steels and the Perma-Blue is made for low carbon steels like your sight is made from.

Latest posts

Back