• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1967 Intercontinental Arms .44 “Kentuckian” percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is supposed to be an attachment to the threaded end of the ramrod on this rifle? The barrel is slightly over 35” but ramrod is only about 32.5” and is not long enough (as is) to clean or load the barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_9165.JPG
    IMG_9165.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_9164.JPG
    IMG_9164.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9154.JPG
    IMG_9154.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_9155.JPG
    IMG_9155.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_9156.JPG
    IMG_9156.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_9157.JPG
    IMG_9157.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_9158.JPG
    IMG_9158.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9159.JPG
    IMG_9159.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_9160.JPG
    IMG_9160.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_9161.JPG
    IMG_9161.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 138
Does anybody know if there is supposed to be an attachment to the threaded end of the ramrod on this rifle? The barrel is slightly over 35” but ramrod is only about 32.5” and is not long enough (as is) to clean or load the barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_9163.JPG
    IMG_9163.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9162.JPG
    IMG_9162.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 83
Maybe it's not the original ramrod.
Measure how long you need and what diameter and order one from TOTW or other BP stores.
I believe it is original. I purchased a fiberglass long one (for more of a “range rod”) from DGW back when I first acquired it. I also had to special order .430 round balls for it then, too. I only shot it a couple of times then, but have recently become more interested in it. I have run about 25 balls through it in the last few days and will be doing more today.

I am starting to look at accessories etc., but since it is an “odd” size for nowadays (and is a brand that is no longer imported) it is harder to find items for it. Thanks for the advice!

Another question, if I may? Does anyone know who made these in Italy? I believe mine is pretty spot-on with the Davide Pedersoli Kentucky rifle specs (except for the patchbox and European instead of American walnut stock): barrel length, pull, pinned barrel, total length, etc. Thanks!

I had charge of one last year. Terrible lock. Worst I have met. The rest was fine. No attachments.
Thanks for the info, Raedwald. So the ramrod on the one you had was also too short? Was yours a flintlock or percussion? If percussion, what didn’t you like about it, if I may ask? The trigger on mine is taking getting used to, as it seems very stiff (or maybe I am just spoiled using double set triggers previously).

Percussion and very very stiff. Look into the lock and see the awful trench notches in the tumbler. Not bridled but this is not necessarily a problem. Bought an unknown 40 year old Spanish percussion muzzle loading pistol for 80 euros which has an unbridled lock and it is the best pistol I have ever had. Better than me. I never used the rod on the Kentuckian.

I started my BP life with one of those about 40 something years ago. It came with a threaded extension. Not a real good solution so I brought a longer ramrod. Today I would just drill the hole deeper and build a proper rod.

Thanks for the info, Raedwald. So the ramrod on the one you had was also too short? Was yours a flintlock or percussion? If percussion, what didn’t you like about it, if I may ask? The trigger on mine is taking getting used to, as it seems very stiff (or maybe I am just spoiled using double set triggers previously).

U'P, if you google "who made Intercontinental Arms", one of the sites that comes up is from this forum years ago from a guy who had one of their pistols. Zonie gave information on it. Not the manufacturer but info from George Nonte Jr. muzzleloading book. I hope this helps some.

U'P, if you google "who made Intercontinental Arms", one of the sites that comes up is from this forum years ago from a guy who had one of their pistols. Zonie gave information on it. Not the manufacturer but info from George Nonte Jr. muzzleloading book. I hope this helps some.
Thanks! I will look it up. I Googled before, but don’t think I saw that specifically.

U'P, Here is something I just thought of, type in intercontinental arms in the search section at the top right of this page. When that page shows up, scroll down to "Intercontinental Arms....Help". The 2010 thread by Zonie is there. It's not much to go on and if George Nonte Jr. didn't list a manufacturer, it will probably never be known.

My first muzzleloading rifle was a Intercontinental Kentuckian flintlock. It was a .44 caliber gun and shot .433 diameter patched balls.
I sold it years ago so I can't check the length of the ramrod but I don't recall it being a problem when it was used to ram a ball down on top of a powder load.
I used a regular cleaning rod along with a jag to clean the gun so a shorter ramrod didn't really cause any problems as I recall.

My first muzzleloading rifle was a Intercontinental Kentuckian flintlock. It was a .44 caliber gun and shot .433 diameter patched balls.
I sold it years ago so I can't check the length of the ramrod but I don't recall it being a problem when it was used to ram a ball down on top of a powder load.
I used a regular cleaning rod along with a jag to clean the gun so a shorter ramrod didn't really cause any problems as I recall.
Thanks, Zonie!

U'P, Here is something I just thought of, type in intercontinental arms in the search section at the top right of this page. When that page shows up, scroll down to "Intercontinental Arms....Help". The 2010 thread by Zonie is there. It's not much to go on and if George Nonte Jr. didn't list a manufacturer, it will probably never be known.
I looked through some of the previous “Intercontinental Arms-related” posts, but didn’t really see anything specific. So, still unknown. I own a 1968 Gun Trader’s Guide which has the Intercontinental Arms rifles and pistols in it, but it doesn’t mention manufacturer name. Also, the specs for this rifle are slightly different than my 1967. The listed one for 1968 says “33.5” barrel and total length of “48.” Mine has a 35+” barrel and is 50+” long. The price in the 1968 book was $125.00.

I looked through some of the previous “Intercontinental Arms-related” posts, but didn’t really see anything specific. So, still unknown. I own a 1968 Gun Trader’s Guide which has the Intercontinental Arms rifles and pistols in it, but it doesn’t mention manufacturer name. Also, the specs for this rifle are slightly different than my 1967. The listed one for 1968 says “33.5” barrel and total length of “48.” Mine has a 35+” barrel and is 50+” long. The price in the 1968 book was $125.00.

Unfortunately we will probably never know who the manufacturer was. That's seems like a mid priced gun. Does it list the prices for Thompson Center, CVA or Navy Arms? If it has the prices of the others that would give you an idea where it falls in relation to the others of the time period. Good luck with it.

Back