• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

18th Century Pencil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nc_cooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
About a year ago I started researching 18th century pencils.I had been asked by some school classes during a living history event and I did not have an answer.
Graphite was first discovered in England in 1565 and was called "greasy lead" because it resembled lead. In the late 18th century it was determined to a crystalline form of carbon and was named graphite.
By the late 1600's, pencil making had become a wide spread cottage industry and they were being shipped to world markets. Graphite was cut into thin sticks and glued between two pieces of soft wood. In 1761, Kasper Faber, cabinette maker, opened a factory in Germany to mass produce pencils.
See this site for info:http://www.faber-castell.de/20873/History-Information/History-of-the-Pencil/Pencil-Discovery-Innovation/default_news.aspx
Here is a pic of my rendition.
18thcenturypencil.jpg

It is 4"long and about 1/2" sq.
Thanks for looking,
Mike

This is very interesting. :thumbsup: If I remember correctly one had to lick the tip of the pencil in order to get it to wright.

No licking needed, if you use pure graphite bar. You will get a dark stripe on your tongue with pure graphite. Don't ask how I know that.
In 1794 the Graphite-Clay process was discovered. Powdered graphite was mixed with clay and formed into thin rods. The mixture was fired in a kiln at high temperature to harden. I have read that "licking" the early graphite-clay pencils was common. As the manufacturing process was refined, pencils of different hardness were readily available.
Mike

Not from a carpenters pencil. If you look at one closely, that lead is very narrow. The stuff I used is 1/2" wide. I ordered it from an art supply house. It has a 2B/4B hardness. I used cedar for the slabs.
Mike

That will be another project down the road. Got to spend some time in the forge. :grin:
Mike

Bill, I have not been able to find any references to the type of glue they used. My WAG would be hide glue, but that's just a guess. I resorted to using a thin epoxy colored with lamp black.
I would really like to know what they used.
Mike

Mike, very nicely done and with all the information you have shared... a nicely documented project as well. :thumbsup:

Suz

Back