• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1863 Springfield – bore diameter question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimitar

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello muzzleloaders,

Recently I bought an original 1863 Springfield rifle in a decent condition. Is there any source that gives precise bore dimensions for that rifle? The little Goggling I did not reveal results.

My questions specifically ”“ while cleaning it, I noticed that thed bore on this rifle is not exactly the same diameter along the length of the barrel ”“ is this by design, or possibly rust deposits? Right where the bullet is seated there is extra width, it seems, then about 5-7 inches forward the bore is around .565. Then at the very end it opens up again somewhat and in the last inch it is around .60. Is this by design or speaks of a worn out barrel?

BTW, after I cleaned the rust there is definite rifling with three clean grooves.

Dimitar

Sounds like a worn barrel. While the original Springfields had progressive depth rifling, deeper at the breech and getting shallower as itnears the muzzle, bore size would remain constant. There is probably erosion at the breech and the muzzle is worn from the steel ramrod.

My Zoli Springfield measures (near as I can tell) about .581" or .582" at the muzzle and there are no tight spots when I run a tight patch down the bore.

Tom

Ahh, "progressive depth rifling" -- thank you! I meant the groove diameter, not the bore diameter, sorry. Thank you the infomation!

Dimitar

Dimitar B. said:
Hello muzzleloaders,

Recently I bought an original 1863 Springfield rifle in a decent condition. Is there any source that gives precise bore dimensions for that rifle? The little Goggling I did not reveal results.

My questions specifically ”“ while cleaning it, I noticed that thed bore on this rifle is not exactly the same diameter along the length of the barrel ”“ is this by design, or possibly rust deposits? Right where the bullet is seated there is extra width, it seems, then about 5-7 inches forward the bore is around .565. Then at the very end it opens up again somewhat and in the last inch it is around .60. Is this by design or speaks of a worn out barrel?

BTW, after I cleaned the rust there is definite rifling with three clean grooves.

Dimitar

The diameter of the bore on a clean new barrel across the lands should be .580 inches, breech to muzzle. The three grooves are .015" deep at the breech and are progressively shallower toward the muzzle where they are .005" deep. Twist rate is 1 turn in 6 feet. If the rifling is clean at the muzzle there is very little wear there since .005 is not deep to begin with. Many muskets have a lot of wear at the muzzle and often appear to be smoothbored for the first inch or two.

I'm concerned about the tight spot you mention at 5-7". It shouldn't be that tight. Sounds like there is a buildup of really bad fouling and rust that needs to be removed. You'll need to de-breech the barrel and clean the barrel thoroughly with a stiff brass brush and penetrating oil. You may have to mount the brush to a drill. Rifle-muskets often develop a "crud ring" in that area if not cleaned properly. If it's been there a long time, it has probably eaten into the bore and caused some severe pitting.

I have an origional Norwitch 58 cal. musket and the barrel is in good shape but not near as consistant as most modern repo's. Hey if I were you I would insure that it was clean and shoot it. I have better luck with PRB's and 65 grains of 2F. .570 and .018 ticking! MY Antonio Zoave likes that load also! Geo. T.

Gentlemen, thank you for the elucidating responses.

KanawhaRanger, I hear you and I have no doubt that the rifle is dangerous to shoot in this current state ”“ at that particular point, it is indeed, ~.565’ between the lands at 7-8 inches off the breech.

I am not sure whether this rifle is recoverable to be shootable, but before I even posted here, I removed the barrel and gave it several long “bath and brush” sessions with vinegar. A lot of stuff fell out. When I put a light at the muzzle, I can see clear rifling for the most length of the barrel, except at the very start. But the tightness still persists, less so than before, but still there. I cannot visually assess the situation near the breech.

What is the recommendation for such massive cleaning ”“ what chemicals? Do I use a steel brush?

Dimitar

Someone in the past may have used minies in that musket that were not pure lead. If so, the skirt will not fully expand. Powder fouling, and worse leading can occur. If the problem is not realized and the musket is not properly cleaned, then the more you shoot it, the more layers of crud build up. I'd give it an overnight soaking with Kroil and then start scrubbing with a bronze brush with strands from a copper Chore Boy scrubbing pad wrapped around it. You may also want to pull the breech plug to get a better look at the problem from that end.

Duane

Back