• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Clean and repairing some Springfields for a customer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A gent brought in two Springfields. A 1858 and an 1863.. Both were pretty much uncared for, but mostly intact.
Family heirlooms I was told, from great, great, great grandpaps service in the Civil War.
The 1863 was still loaded.
I had to replace a few screws and get a broken stub from a lock bolt out of the 63's lock plate.
Did the respectful strip and cleans, unbreeched the '63, and removed powder and wadding, carefully scrubbed
off the white paint spatters (always found on 'garage guns').
When I went to remove the rust from the barrels, I discovered that they had been bored smooth...no rifling left.

Oh boy.
These were not Grandpaps war guns, these were surplus Civil War Springfields, that Bannerman's had gotten, and
bored the barrels out to turn them into shotguns, and sold in the 1870's and 1880's.

It is not for me to ruin the family lore of this man and his father, by explaining that these were purchased after the War,
and had no military connection. These were presented to my shop by the young gentleman (anyone under 60 is young to me)
for restoration for his father's upcoming birthday.
Sometimes silence is golden, sigh.

Let me correct a couple of typos, Springfields were a '53, and a '62,, fumble fingers,,,,Sorry bout that! Breech plug in the 62 was a bear to get out. But we did it without damage, or setting off the charge. It took me and my other old smith a hard pull on the plug wrench with a pipe cheater, with the barrel in the barrel vise with custom blocks, to get the thing to move. After cleaning and de-rusting, it went back together very normally. A hard pull, the last 1/4 inch of rotation. Heavy oil on threads......
I used the Rice breech plug wrench, with brass protective shims. Worked a treat. Worth the money.

Latest posts

Back