• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1862 Police Cylinder binds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was given 2 Uberti 1862 police cap and ball revolvers. Both seem to be in good shape and operate correctly. However when I put caps on, the cylinders bind and wont turn. I have tried different nipples with no change. Any of you pistol gurus have an idea what the problem might be. Thanks

I was given 2 Uberti 1862 police cap and ball revolvers. Both seem to be in good shape and operate correctly. However when I put caps on, the cylinders bind and wont turn. I have tried different nipples with no change. Any of you pistol gurus have an idea what the problem might be. Thanks
What nipples and caps? I just got back from range and found RWS caps are a real tight fit on slixshot nipples. I had to press them down or they would cause interference and dragging as cylinder rotated.
Next week i will try them on stock nipples.
Remington caps work great on slixshots. RWS not so much.
YMMV.

What nipples and caps? I just got back from range and found RWS caps are a real tight fit on slixshot nipples. I had to press them down or they would cause interference and dragging as cylinder rotated.
Next week i will try them on stock nipples.
Remington caps work great on slixshots. RWS not so much.
YMMV.
Used slixshot and stock nipples CCI and Remington caps.

Is it the same with both guns ? I've learned to seat the caps down with a wood dowel if they are to tight on the nipples to seat easily with a capper or by hand.
I have also used a diamond file on each nipple cone angle and height set in a hand drill for spinning them until they fit the caps I use correctly. Some guns on occasion are a bit short on the ratchet height in the cylinder and can be fixed with a bushing/shim or nipple height adjustment.
The bushing fix can mean a hand stretch so a nipple adjustment will be easier and safer for most folks.

Last edited:
Is it the same with both guns ? I've learned to seat the caps down with a wood dowel if they are to tight on the nipples to seat easily with a capper or by hand.
I have also used a diamond file on each nipple cone angle and height set in a hand drill for spinning them until they fit the caps I use correctly. Some guns on occasion are a bit short on the ratchet height in the cylinder and can be fixed with a bushing/shim or nipple height adjustment.
The bushing fix can mean a hand stretch so a nipple adjustment will be easier and safer for most folks.
Yes it's the same on both guns. I'll try to turn some nipples down when I get time and see if that will work. Thanks

Without photos showing the drag issues it's hard to diagnose.
My guess would be either someone put nipples in that are too long or the arbor is too short, this allows the barrel wedge to press breach of the barrel to press against the cylinder's face.

Previous forum postings from 45D & others show how to correct this somewhat common issue on repro revolvers.
Relic shooter

I'm inclined to say that you didn't get the caps seated all the way. I have that same issue on my 1851... Slix Shot nipples & #10 Remington caps. Not so much with CCI #11s or RWS 1075... as the length of the Remington caps engage more of the nipple cone. I either turn the capper over and use the brass part to push the cap a little farther, a piece of antler on a thong, or I have a piece of antler on my snail capper to use as a "cap seater." It doesn't take much effort, but that final few thousandths makes all the difference in the world.
DSCN1506[1].JPG

Finally figured it out. The previous owner had tried to solve the cap jam problem by filling in the slot in the hammer. The stuff he used was standing slightly proud hardly enough to notice but just enough to keep the trigger from completely resetting. Two or three swipes with a diamond stone and now they operate as designed.

Very good man, there is a utube video about filling in the slot with JB Weld to eliminate cap jams from the hammer pulling off the caps. Maybe the PO only watched the first half and missed the part on filing smooth.
Congrats on your new career as a gun smith.

Very good man, there is a utube video about filling in the slot with JB Weld to eliminate cap jams from the hammer pulling off the caps. Maybe the PO only watched the first half and missed the part on filing smooth.
Congrats on your new career as a gun smith.
I am a long way from being a gunsmith but simple things I can do.

Back