• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Rem and grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qcml

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just pick up a Navy Arms 1858 Rem. Gave it a cleaning last night and under the trigger gaurd it was packed with grease. Is this a common practice?

metalman said:
Just pick up a Navy Arms 1858 Rem. Gave it a cleaning last night and under the trigger gaurd it was packed with grease. Is this a common practice?

New guns of any kind are often completely gunked up with protective grease or cosmoline. Answer: yes.
Before using, clean, clean, clean.

Not a common practice but perhaps the previous owner was trying to keep the black powder fouling out of the works?

If so, his/her efforts were not really needed.

Although a small amount of powder fouling will find its way into the lockworks it usually does no damage.

I know many people (including me) who only fully take apart their pistols once a year to clean that area and they have no problem with rust or corrosion.

The only problem I can see with packing that area with grease is it will eventually harden and that could restrict the free movement of the parts.
That could lead to hammers that won't stay cocked and cylinders that won't lock like they should.

I'm just the opposite of you, Zonie...I totally strip my guns down to the whitey-tighties every time I'm through shooting! But you're right; the grease might restrict movement if left to harden.
I lightly lube all the internals with Lubri-Plate (white lithium grease) but don't gob it on.

I strip down my BPO revolvers just once a year, but clean them thoroughly after shooting every time. Lockwork get an oiling - cylinder pin gets a dose of moly-based spinning reel grease I picked up at closing-down sale of a fishing- tackle store about 20 years ago.

A ten-pound tub for $5 seemed a bargain.

Both revolvers are well over the 1/4 century now, in fact, the Walker is 1980.

Both act like new.

tac

Zonie said:
Not a common practice but perhaps the previous owner was trying to keep the black powder fouling out of the works?

If so, his/her efforts were not really needed.

Although a small amount of powder fouling will find its way into the lockworks it usually does no damage.

I know many people (including me) who only fully take apart their pistols once a year to clean that area and they have no problem with rust or corrosion.

The only problem I can see with packing that area with grease is it will eventually harden and that could restrict the free movement of the parts.
That could lead to hammers that won't stay cocked and cylinders that won't lock like they should.

Mobil 1 synthetic grease seems to solve a lot of these problems,,,doesn't seem to "harden up" or melt off, not PC/HC, not that I give a rats behind when it comes to lubricants, I use Ballistol too. Matter of fact it seems to make a better "over the ball" grease than crisco. of course, that don't take much.
Although, after I wash out the barrel, I run a couple patches with lighter fluid down the bore to make sure all the grease is out. I am still experimenting with this, but it looks very promising...

I am with Zonie on this, I just tear it down once a year. I don't see the need to do it after every shooting session, unless it is extremly dusty, or I fire an exceptional amount of rounds through each pistol. I usually take 2-3 out to my range when I go shooting so it don't spend all my time just firing 1. So maybe 3-4 cylinders worth goes through each one. I find that there is not that much fouling if any after a seesion.

To those of you who are taking your C&B revolvers apart:

Most if not all of the screws that hold the grip strap and trigger guard are the same diameter with the same threads. As some of you may have found, they are not the same length.

I suggest that when you remove the screws and the part they held, you loosely reinstall them into the frame.
That way, when it comes time to reassemble the gun you will have the correct length screws in the correct holes. :)

I have NEVER taken my Rem replica apart . . . guess maybe I should, since it is over 20 years old . . . still works fine . . . don't shoot it much, still have part of the original jug of Pyro P . . .

As to grease over the ball . . . the last time I shot it in the "Alien invasion" I decided that I'd switch to putting a wad under the ball, instead of crisco on top of the ball . . .

LonghuntervsAliens4.jpg

Sometimes I take mine apart simply because I'm bored....
Does that make me weird? :hmm:

I like a shadow board. That way those pesky screws arn't in the way when you put it back together.

steve

People in Arizona probably don't have to worry about rust nearly as much as many of the rest of us do. :wink:

If I were to leave ANY BP residue ANYWHERE NEAR steel, it would rust with abandon. So it ALL has to be scrupulously clean.

Captain Kirk. I'm with you. I totally disassemble my 58 Remington after shooting partly because I enjoy doing it and partly to make sure everything is wearing correctly.

Many Klatch

Yep, and one added advantage is, you get to the point where you can strip the gun in your sleep. No fumbling trying to figure out where parts go. I usually have one of my pistols spread all over the bench at least once a week...if nothing else, from boredom!
You'd be surprised at how fast I can disassemble/reassemble one compared to the old days!

Well . . . it spent over 15 years in VT! Over 10 of those years it was stored in the basement in a plastic gun case! :shocked2:

Gonna take it out to shoot it here maybe tomorrow, as today is kinda windy . . . then when I clean it, I'll open it up to see what's inside!

Latest posts

Back