• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1853 enfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bore sizes vary even within the same model, so you'll need to measure first. Either with pin gauges, or by slugging, pulling, and measuring (which may require a special micrometer if it's odd grooves). I've had success using a socket of almost the right diameter and wrapping a couple layers of tape around it, cutting off little bits at a time until it fit well, then measuring that as a free pin gauge. You want a bullet .001 to .002 smaller.

With that out of the way, mine's a Euroarms so it's not exactly the same, but I can tell you don't even bother trying the Lee "improved". The skirt is so thick that it won't expand properly. I tried everything from 40 to 70 grains of 2f and 3f, with sideways hits and groups of seven to eighteen inches at 50yd. I ordered a wadcutter from Moose Moulds (though with some communication difficulties), and my first three shots were touching.

If your bore is standard .577, you have plenty of options. If it's oversized, not many. The Lyman 578 has been on backorder all year, The RCBS Hodgdon is discontinued, as are Rapine. Moose Moulds are expensive, but great product.

Bore sizes vary even within the same model, so you'll need to measure first. Either with pin gauges, or by slugging, pulling, and measuring (which may require a special micrometer if it's odd grooves). I've had success using a socket of almost the right diameter and wrapping a couple layers of tape around it, cutting off little bits at a time until it fit well, then measuring that as a free pin gauge. You want a bullet .001 to .002 smaller.

With that out of the way, mine's a Euroarms so it's not exactly the same, but I can tell you don't even bother trying the Lee "improved". The skirt is so thick that it won't expand properly. I tried everything from 40 to 70 grains of 2f and 3f, with sideways hits and groups of seven to eighteen inches at 50yd. I ordered a wadcutter from Moose Moulds (though with some communication difficulties), and my first three shots were touching.

If your bore is standard .577, you have plenty of options. If it's oversized, not many. The Lyman 578 has been on backorder all year, The RCBS Hodgdon is discontinued, as are Rapine. Moose Moulds are expensive, but great product.
Thank you for sharing , good info here .

I just use .575's and 60 gr of 2f as a starting point and see what it does.

As much as I hate being non-historical, my ArmiSport CS Richmond .58 shoots ragged holes at 100 with .570 balls and .010 patches, better than with any Minie I've tried in it . It's weird. Every rifle is an individual

I just use .575's and 60 gr of 2f as a starting point and see what it does.

As much as I hate being non-historical, my ArmiSport CS Richmond .58 shoots ragged holes at 100 with .570 balls and .010 patches, better than with any Minie I've tried in it . It's weird. Every rifle is an individual
Thank you. Do you pour your own bullets? If so, which mold do you use ? If you buy, then where from?

My navy arms does well with a lee minie but not well at all with a RB or REAL bullet. It came with a brass mold with a thick skirt (about twice as thick as the lee) and, at 60 gr. FF does not shoot we’ll although this bullet works beautifully in my double at 120 gr. You’ve got to try a few different bullets to see what it likes. Buy bullets, not molds so you don’t end up with $250 of molds you don’t use. I have 6 .58 molds and use about 3-4. Now if I could find a nice Pritchett mold used…

Have an 1853 ENFIELD .58cal manufactured by armi sport. Which bullet molds and sizing has worked for you ?
Search is your friend here. We've been over and over this.

Pin gauge the bore
Order samples from Bullets
Use real black powder and quality caps
Use natural base lubes
Start load development in the 40gr range and work up till best accuracy.
Order that mold
Learn to cast

I'm over in Winston and shoot competition with these critters in the North South Skirmish Association. If you need some help or want to shoot sometime, message me. Some of my competition Civil War arms- P53, P58, Enfield Musketoon, 1858 Smith, 1863 Sharps, 1862 Colt contract

Yes, the Enfield can be made to shoot rather well, and yes, that is a 5 shot group-
phshazam.jpg

My navy arms does well with a lee minie but not well at all with a RB or REAL bullet. It came with a brass mold with a thick skirt (about twice as thick as the lee) and, at 60 gr. FF does not shoot we’ll although this bullet works beautifully in my double at 120 gr. You’ve got to try a few different bullets to see what it likes. Buy bullets, not molds so you don’t end up with $250 of molds you don’t use. I have 6 .58 molds and use about 3-4. Now if I could find a nice Pritchett mold used…
Thank you for the info.

The North South Skirmish Association is a group of competition shooters whose arms of choice are Civil War. We shoot small arms and artillery in live fire competition.

So to your musket-
Know the size FIRST. Molds, you get what you pay for. Lee are marginal at best and there's a reason they're priced where they are. The base plug is mounted on a flimsy piece of sheet steel that is subject to warping and being bent rendering the mold pretty much useless. Buy once cry once, enjoy the quality of a good mold as long as you own your gun.

Casting-
That comes after finding what works. Use pure lead, run the pot at 850F, pour fast. No lead does not vaporize at 850F, that happens over 1100F, and if you pot gets that hot, it's about to become a molten pile of slag. To prevent lead issues in your blood, practice common sense. Don't eat, drink or smoke while casting. Wear gloves and wash your hands after a casting session. Put your clothes that you were wearing into the wash. The only cases of lead poisoning I've heard of are from folks who frequent indoor ranges with modern guns whose primers contain lead styphnate.

Lube-
Dip the rings only in a beeswax/(lard, crisco, tallow) mix. Nothing petroleum based unless you just want a huge mess.

Powder-
Real black only. I shoot 3f Swiss in competition but use 3f Scheutzen when instructing. Both work but Swiss has the edge for competition purposes.

Caps-
RWS or Scheutzen only. Don't even think of current production CCI as they're manure for consistent ignition and accuracy.

Charge Levels-
No need for huge powder charges with a minie with a normal thickness skirt. Huge charges will blow out the skirts on most minies and cause accuracy problems. Thicker skirts will stop this problem but you'll be stuck with huge powder charges to make them engage the rifling. Lower the charge on thick skirts and you're back to accuracy issues and leading.

Thank you. Do you pour your own bullets? If so, which mold do you use ? If you buy, then where from?
I buy them from a GunBroker seller, I'm not sure what his name is but if you search for .58 Minie his stuff comes up

I get them for about 40 cents each, I hot dip and size them myself. Sizing is essential . I'd rather just support a guy with a side gig and pay him to cast for me. I use an arbor press to push them through a sizer.

I roll paper cartridges too, its just way more fun.

Latest posts

Back