• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Pietta nickel/gold played "bargain"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Couple weeks back, my brother in law out in Wyoming sent me some phone pics of this gun. He was doing a deal for a pump shotgun and the seller said take the revolver along with for $100 or no deal, so he acquiesced. Knowing I do BP and he does not, my BIL offered it to me, same price plus shipping. I said OK, although I'd never buy one of these outright, but it looked fine in the pics. Well it arrived today. I don't know what the seller used to clean it with but the leading edges of the cylinder look more like copper than gold and there's a fairly large oval discolored on the side. (He was shooting Pyrodex Select.) Also noticed the wedge stop screw is absent. This isn't the first time I've been surprised like this by dear BIL but, what can I say, he's family so I'll see if I can make this work. Thankfully, the nickeled parts are OK.

Can the gold plating (wash?) be stripped for rebluing? Where would I find a replacement screw? Are spare cylinders available? It's a .44. (This thing might end up a lamp or something.)

Thanks in advance!

Red(fooled again!)Feather

Last edited:
Well, came across a thread which said the cylinder plating on these blows off pretty easily through use. So, if you have a hankering for one of these showboats, might want to keep it tied to the pier.

You will need to know the thread size used on your pistol. Most of the Italian pistols use the same metric threads. You may have to take the barrel to your local hardware store to determine the threads. What markings do you have on your pistol that may tell you the manufacturer?
Usual group of dealers may have what you are looking for. Check out Dixie, Muzzle Loader Builder's Supply, Track of the Wolf and others.

It sounds like this Cabela's plated model.--->>> https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pie...-Caliber-Revolver-with-Starter-Kit/734627.uts
But Traditions sold similar models and could be able to help with original parts.
I know they sold an all nickel 1851 model that had a blue wedge screw, and a nickle 1860 with a gold cylinder.

Phone# 860-388-4656
Monday - Thursday 7:45am-4:30pm Eastern Time
Friday 7:45-3:15pm
Saturday & Sunday - closed

Last edited:
Thanks. Might give them a call. Found a new blued screw on fleabay but the seller wants more to ship than he's asking. I see Cabelas has extra blued cylinders which would actually look nice.

This was one of those offered with a basic kit. It is a 2011 or 2012 Pietta.

I seem to recall these Nickel Pietta's have a Brass frame. Might hold a magnet to frame and see if it sticks.
If the magnet doesn't stick, it's brass - use lower powder charges (15gr to 20gr) to get the longest life out of the gun.

Never thought of that. Will do and a BIG thank you!

For anyone contemplating shooting one of these, I'm thinking the fouling might have reacted with copper in the gold alloy. I would clean the cylinder just as soon as possible.

Just tried a small magnet. It only went for the screws, so I'd say it is brass framed. Not such a big thing in my case but I sure wouldn't have been happy paying $400 for one of these, as I've seen similar Piettas going for. Wouldn't have broke the bank to use steel. I guess these are meant for display.

Again, appreciate the heads up.

Back