• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 44 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up one cheap on Gunbroker. Upon receiving it, I found out why I got it so cheap.......theres pitting along the edge of the lands. It couldn't be see until I cleaned the barrel real well and then it showed up.

I don't know if it's going to affect accuracy or cause a bad leading problem as I haven't shot it yet. For $70, maybe I'll get lucky.

Tom

You'll have a lot of fun shooting your pistol.

I'm pretty sure you've read by now that there never was a .44 caliber Colt 1851 but when the Italians came up with this idea they created a gun that is a real hoot to shoot.

It has the pointability of the .36 caliber Colt 1851 revolver with the Boom of the Colt 1860 Army (which was made in .44 caliber).

My first blackpowder revolver was a .44 caliber Colt "1851" and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Then, I let my mind start controlling my actions and decided I wanted all of my Civil War pistols to be Historically Accurate.
That meant selling the .44. :(

Later on, I wished I would have held on to it because although the .36's are fun the Boom of the .44 is more fun.

I have a .44 Remington and a .44 Colt 1860 but they just don't feel the same in my hand as that "Colt 1851 .44" did.

As you will read, if your gun has a brass frame (the frame, not the trigger guard), keep the powder loads on the light side. Somewhere around 22 grains will do nicely.

If your gun is a steel frame like mine was you can use any powder load that will still allow the lead ball to be swaged into the chamber so it is below the face of the cylinder.

Lately I started buying 2nd Gen. Colts and love them, but I have to admit I have shot the heck out of a Pietta 1851 brasser. I did notice a little impression in the recoil shield from the cylinder from probbly shooting a few too many larger loads. As I was browsing tonight I noticed that Cabelas was selling them for $139.99 again and thought, heck.... extra cylinder $60, spare parts $40, new frame probably $100, loading lever (that I could use) probably $40 and guess what?
I also noticed a $20 off thingy and remembered a $25 gift card from last Christmas that I had.
I had to order another item to get to the $150 mark for the $20 off thingy and the next thing you know I (as the wife always says) got over $200 worth of stuff for ONLY $159 thereby saving us over $40 today. I am very proud that my wonderful wife is teaching me these thrifty ways to save us money! :rotf:

Dicky Dalton said:
Lately I started buying 2nd Gen. Colts and love them, but I have to admit I have shot the heck out of a Pietta 1851 brasser. I did notice a little impression in the recoil shield from the cylinder from probbly shooting a few too many larger loads.
I'd repair or retire that gun before firing another shot from it. If the nipples are hitting the recoil sheild you are begging for a multiple discharge.

Na the nipples ain't even close, just a line showing 2 markings from the back of the cylinder. Thanks though I have a .36 I've retired that's steel and just got too loose to shoot any more.

Shot it with 22 to 25 grains of T-7 3F. 22 grains was a pussy cat load but accurate striking the target about 10" high at 20 yards. Accuracy was about 6" but I think working with the revolver and becoming more familiar with it, the grouping may get better. I did open up the hammer sight notch so my old eyes can see the front sight better. :grin:

Tom

Back