• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1849 Pocket Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use about 10 or 12 gr of 3F in mine (also Uberti). I had to do a bit of work on the timing to stop the cylinder from over rotating. I have also found that .315 round balls fit well in some of the chambers, but are loose in others. I'd like to find a good source for .320 rb instead.
I have not shot it enough to find the most accurate load yet.
Cheers,
Chowmi

While I have alot of respect for Mike and all the great info he shares with his videos, he does spend a significant amount of time in that linked video talking about his use of 4F.
He makes the valid point that 4F in that revovler will be fine because of the major amount of metal surrounding each cylinder.
But right around 7 minutes when he says black powder needs air surrounding the grains to burn properly, well that's just isn't the case. BP and the replica propelants make there own "oxygen" as part of the burning process of the chemicals in black powder.

In either case as he uses 4F in the Pocket Colt with reliability I see no reason to not use it.
But if you can't find 4F, useing 3F or a 3F equvilant in the Faux powders will get you shooting just fine, :wink:

Chowmif16/rodwha, thanks for the advice, I got a box of swagged .320 balls from Dixie.. :hatsoff:

necchi, I have Swiss 2f,3f & 4f, but after thinking about it, I think I will be using 3f. I see no reason to try and make a magnum out of this little baby pistol, and if I want to get the snot slapped out of me, I have a .357 w/2" barrel that takes care of that... :grin:

Once had one with a brass frame. Shot it with buckshot and also swaged lead round noses that Remington used to sell. Both worked well.

Back