• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1847 walker repro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muzzleloader69 welcome to the Forum! I too think it was Uberti. Haven't seen anyone else's yet. Are you thinking about buying one or do you already have one, etc.?

Reason that I ask is that I have one and use it in our local BP League competition. 50 grains of 3F, an ox-yoke wonder-wad, then a .454 Hornady ball on top. Makes a good amount of smoke considering I'm using a rifle charge :shocked2: .

I like mine so much I'm thinking about getting another one so I can do a Josey Wales style shoot with one in each hand :) .

Let me know if you have a Walker and we'll exchange e-mail info.

The League is on Sunday...can almost smell the smoke now :) . All the best, Dave

Smokin .50- I just got a Uberti Walker, and have been using the .454 balls that I use in my 1860, but they barely shave a ring when I load. :confused: I had been thinking of going to .457 to get a better fit. Do you get a good ring with the .454's?

Tallship, first let me be the first to welcome you to the Forum.

In answering your question: yes I do get just a hint of a ring shaved off when I load the Walker. Mine is also an Uberti. I find it quite accurate, so have no need to make a bigger ring of lead. How does yours shoot? If you can't get the groups to close-up, it may be the amount of pressure your using to seat the charge. I use a custom hand-built loading stand that can accomadate everything from a sherrif's model to a Patroit or a Walker. The stand lets me really lean on the loading lever, giving every ball a more uniform seating upon the powder. I also use pre-measured loading tubes that I load at home. In this way, I keep the variables to a minimum. This results in tighter groups and higher scores. My Walker shoots exactly 6.5 inches high, so I aim 6.5 inches low and get into the 10-X ring :) .

Be carefull if you try the .457 balls. It's more important to get the ball all the way down onto the charge than to have a big ring of lead. If your balls aren't jumping-out with the recoil of a 50 grain charge, then I'd say that you probably have the right size balls to begin with. Chuck Dixon of Dixon's Muzzleloading told me to only use .454 balls when he sold me my Walker. He hasn't given me a bum steer yet :) .

Let me know if you need any more advice in regards to the Walker. All the best, Dave

smokin 50 , i have had my uberti for about 10 years now, i got maria uberti to hand pick me one out , after her father died, the one i orderd , i didn't like the case colors on the frame and said to maria that your father would have never let this gun leave his shop . but anyway , the reason i am asking becuase in one of the old west gun mags , they did a thing on josey wales's gun's and said no 1847 repro walker was made before 1976, that's why i'm asking , also do you live near dixon's . thanks ron

Thanks, Dave. I also have a loading stand, and I've been loading 55 grains of Pyrodex P and a lube pill (50/50 beeswax and Crisco) beneath the ball, and since the balls stay in with a 55 grain charge, I guess I'll stick with the .454s. My pistol shoots about six inches high and six inches to the left. The low part I can live with, but the leftward track is something I'd like to fix. Any suggestions? Thanks, Steve

Steve, you could try filing-out the notch in the hammer a little bit at a time and then see where it prints. I'd try taking off a little bit from the left side (gun pointed towards target), as this will create a larger amount of "white space" on the left side of the notch causing you to want to point the muzzle a little more to the right. Be carefull not to take too much off at once. You said your gun is about 6 inches to the left, but at what distance? If you want to shoot it at say 50-75 yds. or more, tread carefull so you don't take too much meat off the hammer.

You might also want to try real Black BEFORE you start widening the notch in the hammer, unless your're sure you'll never use real Black :winking: . Or try a 50 grain charge and see where it prints? Just a thought :) .

At a gong shoot on 2-25-07 after everybody was done with the shoot (they used rifles only), I pulled out the Walker and proceeded to whack the gongs. After hitting the 60 yard gong, one of the rifle guys says to me why don't I go ahead and try to hit the 135 yd. gong...only had one shot left in the gun...GONG! :shocked2: . I had to keep from being surprised, but after that shot I just put the Walker away for the day :rotf: .

Hope this can be of some help. Let me know of any of your exploits with the .44 Mag of BP!
All the best, Dave

I don't quite know how to answer the question with regards to the date of production of the famous movie vs. the date Uberti started making reproductions. Perhaps Maria's Father was paid a princely sum to make a few for the movie and that's how the repro's were born?? The answer to this question could have died with the death of her Father. IMO it's highly unlikely that Euroarms got the job as their quality back then left a little to be desired. As far as a gun Mag being the only source for this info, don't believe everything that you read. Most of the writers are experts in their respective fields. There has been one or two :bull: artists.

I live in South Amboy NJ, at the mouth of the Raritan Bay which empties into the Atlantic. I'm 5 minutes from the OutterBridge Crossing that goes between Staten Island NY and Perth Amboy NJ. I'm approx. 1.5 hours from Chuck's, but I manage to get there more than most I guess. I've been there so much in the last few months, I could probably help them with the annual inventory :haha: . I love going there. Went into the town of Kempton, to the Kempton Inn, to have lunch one time...good food, plenty of it, and the price was right too! Just can't say enough good things about Chuck & Gregg :applause: .

By the way, how does your Walker shoot? What kind of load, wad, etc.? Let us know! All the best, Dave

i do not no how it shoots becuse it's never been out of the box, i never fired it , i mostly use my 2nd gen 1851 colt navy , i go to kempton's gunmakers fair all the time , i also live in new jersey , somerville , . thanks ron

Ron, I was born at Somerset Medical Center and lived on No. Richards Ave. when I was 8 years old. Just bought the new Explorer from Fullerton Ford on Rt. 22! I'm only a 20-25 minute drive from you...let's "do lunch" sometime.

Or you could come to our first Sunday of the month BP League competition at the Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club located off of Co. Rt. 516 in Old Bridge NJ. Our outdoor range is behind the Blonder-Tongue industrial bld. on Jake Brown Rd., just off of Rt. 516. The League features both pistol & rifle competitions, with all classes of firearms (Flint thru cartridge) represented. The League starts promptly at 9:00 AM for pistol and will finish sometime around 1:00 PM or so. Non-members can shoot the entire match (both rifle & pistol) for only $20. Let me know if you're interested and we'll trade e-mail info.
All the best, Dave

P.S.: Yes the match is this Sunday, 01 April. Hope to see you there! By the way, if you're a collector and not a shooter, come anyway! We'll be glad to get ya started on actually pulling the trigger and making SMOKE :) . Dave

Should have mentioned that the 6 inches by 6 inches was at 15 yards. I know that sounds close, but the only place I can shoot BP here (San Diego)without travelling 45 minutes is at the sheriff's range (I'm a reservist) and the longest distance is 25 yards because they make me shoot at the small range because it's the farthest downwind :haha:

The first importer of Walkers, to my knowledge, was Replica Arms of Marietta, Ohio...this being the early to mid 60's. The original run had small chambers and used .451" balls. Believe they only held about 55 grains because of this. Not sure if Pedersoli used their current logo at that time. The trigger guards is rather thick compared to the current crop but they were still well made guns. Replica Arms imported a wide variety at that time including Patersons with 4", 7", 9" and 12"...wish I could find that assortment!

smokin 50 , dave , i can not make it this sunday but it sounds great where the range is . i always went out to pa. for the matches out there , please give me your email . ron .

Tallship, sounds like you might have to trim a little off the hammer...but it's a shame to have to do it being stuck at a 15 yd. distance. Any chance you could get a reprieve just for sighting-in purposes? Then you'd still be O-K to shoot at the other range you mentioned. Hope all works well and let me know how you do. Dave

Ron, sorry to hear you can't make this Sunday the first. Hope we can hook-up before the next League event the first Sunday of May. My e-mail is: [email protected] :) . Shoot me an e-mail and will hook-up for lunch...I don't need an excuse to go to Stek's Deli either :shocked2: .

All the best, and wish us luck tomorrow with the weather, Dave

Folks: To make personal messages to one another without the rest of the world looking at them first select the persons name in the left hand column with your mouse button.
This will take you to his/her "My Home" on the forum.
Up in the middle is a clickable "Start Private Topic" button. Click it and write whatever private thing you wish (keeping it friendly of course).

Thanks for your help
zonie :)

Zonie, I stand corrected! I did not know about the private posts / how to do them. This is my first Forum. I'll try to do better next time.
All the best, Dave

Back