• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1795 Springfield Aiming?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if there ever was a Brown Bess carbine, historically, but the carbine I have is very comfortable to shoot. However, I think the pedersoli carbine, like I have, would be better with about three-four more inches of barrel, as it is very slightly butt-heavy when you carry it one handed. But, I find it very balanced for aiming. For some reason, I've never been bothered by recoil, but I've heard others complain about it with the carbine. My carbine likes loads on the heavy side also, for best accuracy, but unless I'm shooting with only a t-shirt on, the recoil, and killer-buttplate does not bother me. The heel and comb also seem to fit me well. I do know however, that when the comb does not fit one's face and/or physique, that's a painful proposition. !!!!

The Pedersoli Brown Bess muskets are loosely based on a commercial short land Bess; these muskets were designed to be less comfortable to shoot and easier to shoulder. The Brown Bess typically has a lot of wood in butt, comb, wrist and forestoc making it unbalanced.... the best Brown Bess I’ve shot was 1742 long land; the butt drops slightly more at the heal and forestock is thick to balance the overall weight. A 1740 shortland Brown Bess would be an ideal huntiging musket; I’ve seen a few at the revolutionary war museum in Yorktown.

After hunting with mine since almost forever :) I've come to the conclusion the 35" would be the perfect barrel length. I forget, but I think mine is about 32". Maybe 33". But, I've no complaints against my Bess as-is, she's put plenty of grouse and turkey on the table. She carries good, but my hand does touch the frizzen spring, to balance, no big deal but I'd prefer it if my hand was about an inch further towards the muzzle. When shouldered to shoot, it feels great. I had one opportunity at a bear, with the Bess one day, but it was just a hair out of musket range, and that inspired me to aquire a Jeager for hunting things with fur. Originally I thought Bessie would do both, and she was my first flinter.

After hunting with mine since almost forever :) I've come to the conclusion the 35" would be the perfect barrel length. I forget, but I think mine is about 32". Maybe 33". But, I've no complaints against my Bess as-is, she's put plenty of grouse and turkey on the table. She carries good, but my hand does touch the frizzen spring, to balance, no big deal but I'd prefer it if my hand was about an inch further towards the muzzle. When shouldered to shoot, it feels great. I had one opportunity at a bear, with the Bess one day, but it was just a hair out of musket range, and that inspired me to aquire a Jeager for hunting things with fur. Originally I thought Bessie would do both, and she was my first flinter.

I’d Hunt Turkey with my bess pheasant etc. deer or bear ... too risky to miss and or badly wound. Very hard to get an accurate kill shot with a .75 bore.

I’d use an 1842 Springfield for deer; it’s a cannon with accuracy.

Therein lies the rub, one can tell themselves that you'll just pass up the shots that are out of musket range, but then you see a really nice bear at 90 yards, easy rifle range, one really really wants a bear, and have to pass it up. Deer I don't mind passing up. In fact, late in the season, on days that I'm more interested in just being in the wilderness, than actually shooting a deer, I'll take Bessie loaded with ball, and just figure if something does come within 50 yards it will be icing on the cake. !!! And that .69" ball does make me feel more warm and fuzzy, when the possibility of crossing paths with a grizz crosses my mind. Not that a .60" ball out of my Jeager is a slouch, just saying, Bess has a bite that matches her bark. :)

Therein lies the rub, one can tell themselves that you'll just pass up the shots that are out of musket range, but then you see a really nice bear at 90 yards, easy rifle range, one really really wants a bear, and have to pass it up. Deer I don't mind passing up. In fact, late in the season, on days that I'm more interested in just being in the wilderness, than actually shooting a deer, I'll take Bessie loaded with ball, and just figure if something does come within 50 yards it will be icing on the cake. !!! And that .69" ball does make me feel more warm and fuzzy, when the possibility of crossing paths with a grizz crosses my mind. Not that a .60" ball out of my Jeager is a slouch, just saying, Bess has a bite that matches her bark. :)

Haha Well if I'm in Grizzly country it will be a Take Down Henry or 56-50 Spencer.

WAS THERE A SPRINGFIELD ARMORY IN 1795? IF NOT, WHEN DID THE SPRINGFIELD ARMORY FIRST SET UP?

WHEN YOU CAN'T GET ON THE PAPER, GET SOMEONE TO SPOT WHERE THE DUSTNFLIESS WHEN YOUR ERRANT BALLHITS THE BERM BEHIND THE TARGET AREA. THIS WILL TELL YOU WHAT SIGHT CORRECTIONS YOU NEED TO MAKE.

DR5X

I recently purchased a repro 1795 Springfield. At 25 yards, I can shoot a 3" group. But at 50 yards I'm having issues of getting on the paper, and I know it's my aiming. Without a front sight I'm lost. I know I need to get back to the range and just start shooting and figure it out, but I'd like to know if anyone has any hints that could help. My load is 60 gr FFg topped with Flax tow, a .662 RB and more Flax Tow over that. I know most would say I need to shoot a paper over the ball, but I'm using what I have. Thank you.

According to a site I found on the web, "The Springfield Armory was created in Springfield, Massachusetts, in 1777 by order of George Washington, commander-in-chief of the Continental Army."

Latest posts

Back