• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

$15 Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john s mosby

45 Cal.
Reaction score
You don't buy much for $15 but I found this Tower type pistol at a gun show today for $15. It's a bit ugly but with a new finish it might look okay.
The lock is marked Tower 1869 with a crown behind the hammer, the barrel has several crown markings. It's about 69 cal. Maybe it's one of those ones made in Japan back in the 60's. I haven't taken it apart to check for any markings yet.

88771558.jpg

88771582.jpg

88771571.jpg

For $15 I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Hey, I'll go $30.00, there you doubled your money! :crackup: :thumbsup: :redthumb:

You can send it to me and I promise never to tell anyone it was you who did. :says:

It's gonna cost you another 100.00 to convert it over to a flin'eer to make a shooter outa it. :redthumb:

Dont' listen to them guys. You got gypped. Somebody stole the middle two thirds and back end of that musketgun. :crackup: :crackup:

I got a couple of spare tubafers you can have to glue it back up if ya want em.

Musketman

With a bid of $1.29 times 11.62 = $14.99 you are all heart. What a guy! I guess you think the shipping should be free too. LOL

Nice to have such friends, huh?? :hmm: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
snake-eyes :applause: :thumbsup:

Musketman helped me with my avatar so I gotta allow for that. Just how much is an avatar worth these days?

Musketman helped me with my avatar so I gotta allow for that. Just how much is an avatar worth these days?

I don't want your pistol and avatars are free... :winking: :D

I DO expect a full report on how it shoots in the smoothbore section though...

John,
and let us know what you find when you take it
down.
snake-eyes :hmm: :thumbsup:

Well, I didn't find any additional markings when I took it apart. I did notice a TR under the crown behind the hammer. I think I'll strip the finish and sand it down good. Several places could use some better finishing. The lock is pretty rough inside with a trigger pull of about 15 pounds.
The stock is a light color in the barrel channel and under the lock.
It'll be fun to get it looking good. Besides, it's good practice for when I do a better gun.

I had one of them Jap pistols one time. It didn't look anything like your pistol. One thing though. On mine the breech plug was pressed in, and then spot welded. The tang was part of the barrel, not part of the breech plug. I really didn't like the looks of the breech plug and wasn't inclined to shoot it. It also had a coil spring in the lock. Sounds like this one is a tad better quality than one of the Jap jobs like I had.

This one has a mark to line up the breech plug with the top of the barrel so maybe it has real threads. I want to look it over good before I decide to fire it. This one has a flat main spring.
At the least it'll give me some fun evenings working on it.

Is it loaded?

I ask this because many guns are sold loaded because the people that owned it before didn't know any better...

Back