• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE 11 x 8 inch Flat sterling silver for inlay/figures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Plata de Ley (Spanish Sterling Silver) plate that weighs 340 grams which is a little over 314 grams of pure silver (Sterling silver is .925% pure, 1 troy oz = 31.1 grams) This translates into a tad over 10 troy ozs of pure silver. Silver has been hovering around $24 per troy oz, so in theory the plate is worth $240+ In reality, the silver and gold mongers bend you over the table.

This plate is of a good thickness for thin inlays. One side has engraving (it was presented to me by my fellow students at the Spanish Naval War College on the occasion of my wedding to my now 2nd ex-wife in 1993), but the reverse is polished to a haze.

It has a raised embossed border and measures 11.5" X 8.5" with the flat portion 10"x 7"..
The "dimple" you see in the second picture is a reflection of an overhead recessed light fixture.

Quite frankly it would tickle the manure out of me that someone would be able to and would inlay a nice looking ML with things they create from this plate. Let's not dicker on the price as I can just sell it for melt and get more than my net asking price ($190 + $10 shipping) for it. I would rather see it used for something worthwhile.

Check out melt price on sterling: Sterling Silver Melt Value Calculator

Or simply melt it and cast your own thicker piece out of it.

I offer this up for $200 shipped.
plata1.jpgplata2.jpg

Last edited:
Tough to get a good measurement on the flat portion in the middle as I don't have a thickness micrometer that can reach over the embossed edge. Also tough to measure the stamped edge as it has a turned lip.

But the edge, which I believe has been thinned by stamping measures 0.8 to 0.9 mm depending on where I measure. A pure Wild A** Guess (WAG) that it is 1 mm in thickness in the flat section in the middle.

Unfortunately, that is as precise as I can get it.

The same micrometer I am using measures the raised edge of a dime at 1.0 mm

The spine on this caping knife is 1.0 mm , same as the dime raised edgeknifedime.jpg

Last edited:
Sure, take you time it is always available, right up until it is not...LOL If I don't get a buyer the precious metal mongers will get their chance.

I get it....it is a lot of money if you can't use it, but you can always sell it too.

It is thin, make no mistake. Not as thick as the cast figures folks inlet into their stocks. I would try to do an inlay with it, but my skill set is more along the lines of destructive than constructive.

Last edited:
Hello,
I know I am late to this thread but is there the off chance that you still have this Sterling? I’d like to take it off your hands if you haven’t gotten rid of it in all this time.

-Mason

Back