• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1/4 Scale Cannons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built four 1/4 scale field Cannons. One is 1&1/8 bore, the others are 3/4.

100_1011.jpg

100_1018.jpg

100_1022.jpg

Those are great lookin guns. What is the wheel diameter on those? When we built one thats the one thing we never found was a good set of spoked wooden wheels close to the right size. Could of had them made but our little club had a little budget too. We ended using steel impliment wheels that are still a little big. don't look authentic but it rolls. Kudos for a job well done.
Jon

Jon D said:
Those are great lookin guns. What is the wheel diameter on those? When we built one thats the one thing we never found was a good set of spoked wooden wheels close to the right size. Could of had them made but our little club had a little budget too. We ended using steel impliment wheels that are still a little big. don't look authentic but it rolls. Kudos for a job well done.
Jon
Hello Jon. The wheels are 18 inches. Two sets I got at a flea market. I made the first two cannons. I found a couple more barrels at a flea market about a year later and got the wheels from: http://www.texicantreasures.com/catalog141029.html
I replaced the thin steel band (tire)with a 1/8 thick 1 inch wide steel strip I formed and welded to make the wheel stronger. Stained and spahr varnish for the finish.
100_1028.jpg

100_1031.jpg

100_9.jpg

100_0437.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info & link 1sgt. That site has several interesting wheels that could work.
Jon

Do they go bang? And have you whacked anything with them yet?

Oh yeah, what's that little brass one with the grey carriage?

trent/OH said:
Do they go bang? And have you whacked anything with them yet?

Oh yeah, what's that little brass one with the grey carriage?

Hello Trent,
Bang, yes, whacked, no. The small.50 cal bronze barrel "Old Betsy" never fired.

100_6.jpg

100_1045.jpg

Betsy2.jpg

OldBetsy1.jpg

100_1043.jpg

100_1042.jpg

Where is big "Old Betsy" on display? Might be worth a side trip to visit her sometime. I bet she has some stories to tell!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back