• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Surprize came today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was supposed to get a tracking number when my gun shipped must be the folks at TVM forgot, I'm getting ready to leave and the UPS truck stops and backs up in my drive. The guy comes out of the truck with a wood crate long and thin, I know what that is! 45 cal 42" barrel Tennessee rifle, showed up in perfect condition. I shot it a half a dozen times before dark(not posting pics of the group) Once I got the flint set it went off very well. The only question I have is about the rear site, it is a buck horn I never had one but I like the way my eye sees it well(getting old) My question, is it supposed to have a notch filed in it? If so how wide and how deep? and how do I go about it? Nothing fancy but that's how I wanted it.
100_0915.jpg

100_0914.jpg

Nice! Excellent! :thumbsup: What a Christmas present! I'am also glad to hear that you had no troubles like some unfortunate souls have had lately. :). You know you will have to post some groups right? :grin:

Beautiful rifle. The rear sights come without a notch so you can file your own the way you like it. Look closely and you'll see the center mark on the sight where you file the notch. I tend to make mine a bit wide as I can't see worth a hoot.

Good deal and Merry Christmas !!

:thumbsup:

You have to file both the rear and front sights for the load and distance you want to set them at.
Read up on it, learn about it, and get the gun and yourself broken in with each other BEFORE even bothering filing metal away...once its gone you can't put it back.

armakiller said:
Nice! Excellent! :thumbsup: What a Christmas present! I'am also glad to hear that you had no troubles like some unfortunate souls have had lately. :). You know you will have to post some groups right? :grin:
When there good :grin:

The rear sight (why do people spell site for sight?) should have a notch in it. How wide or deep depends on you. You should be able to see some light on the sides and the depth depends on your front sight. Get a good set of "needle" files (I believe is the term) designed for modelers. Don't bother with the cheap ones on sale at Ace, the better files should be around $10-15 for a set. Go slow and check often. File a little and then shoulder the gun. Try to get a good clear sight picture. Aim at a sheet of white paper. The deeper the notch, the more you can file down the rear for elevation. The modeler's files should be small enough so you can use them with the buck horn sight. Good luck! :hatsoff:

David Hoffman said:
The rear sight (why do people spell site for sight?)
Because we sucked in too much burnt powder smoke :grin: Hey thank you for the info :thumbsup:

Very nice! Plain and utilitarian, the way I like them too. :thumbsup:

Congrats and Merry Christmas! :thumbsup: That's a fine lookin rifle and it will serve you well.

Thank you folks, I wanted it to turn out kind of like the Dixie Tennessee rifle I once had, only this one is so much nicer. I'm really glad that I found this forum and was steered to TVM, they are real nice to deal with, I'm also glad I spent the extra $25 to have it shipped in a crate, that thing was just about bomb proof,the gun was packed well with foam in the right places. I have a few days off and plan on doing a bit of shooting to see what she likes. Hopefully by next deer season I'll be shooting good groups and be confident enough to take her out to the deer woods.

Nice looking rifle, thinking about getting one myself. How long was your wait from the time you ordered and if you don't mind the price and options you got with it.

palehorse said:
Nice looking rifle, thinking about getting one myself. How long was your wait from the time you ordered and if you don't mind the price and options you got with it.
My wait was 8 months almost to the day, Options were, toe plate and side plate also shipping crate. total was $965 shipped. Considering the way it turned out and the pleasant experience I had it is really a bargain at that price.

Back