• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fun with the Great Plains Pistol This Afternoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattole

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my Great Plains pistol out shooting today, to test that everything was good for the gentleman who is buying it from me. After finding the right patch thickness this handgun proved to be a real shooter, delivering a ragged hole 3-shot group next to the bullseye at 16 yards.

IMG_4005_zpsbc077e7d.jpg

As the temperature dropped in the valley where I was shooting I noticed that the smoke from the black powder was forming an inversion layer that snaked and crept through the vegetation in a really beautiful and ghostly way.

IMG_3999_zpsa59001c0.jpg

IMG_4001_zps9b4c44b3.jpg

IMG_4003_zps07a13573.jpg

One of the many reasons why I love black powder muzzleloader shooting!

Idricus, here is the load info:

20 gr of Goex 2ff black powder
.535 Hornady ball
Heavy denim patch of approx. .014 thickness (squeezed caliper reading), wetted with Moose Juice and squeezed out and cut at the muzzle.

I swabbed between shots with a patch dampened with Moose Juice, loaded the powder, topped that with a crumpled up square denim patch to keep the ball patch from blowing out, started the wetted/squeezed out patch and the ball with my ball starter and mallet, and cut the patch at the muzzle.

I used a shooting bag as a rest and was careful to not allow the barrel of the pistol to contact the rest. Slow breath, exhale and hold, slowly squeeze the trigger, and wait for the happy blast of fire and smoke!

I explain: Plain pistol is made in italy by Investarm, Lyman buy them by investarm also in .50 and .54 for american market.
But in Italy ( maybe in other countires) you can find .45 caliber. I live in italy near Investarm so i've buy the little caliber.
if you like i can send you some photo of my 0.45 plain pistol
This gun is a little heavier than .50

I have a question:
Do you think plain pistol 0.54 wil be more accurated ( 25 or 30 yard ) with 0.530 or 0.535 Round Ball ??

I'm not as experienced as most folks here, but from what I understand every barrel is different and has individual preferences for the ball diameter, patch thickness and powder charge that it likes best.

Mattole: Love that still, moist Humboldt County air -- and miss it. It was not far from you that I fired my first muzzleloader 44 years ago -- a brass-framed 1851 Navy .36 imported by Hawes -- now long gone. I was a junior in high school when my dad agreed to buy it for me from a little shop in Rio Dell, or was it Scotia.

Thanks Idricus, that's a great insight for us. The .45 version is certainly new to me, had never heard of it...thank you for sharing that. Our sources here only list the origin as "Italy", nice to know. Both written sources I have, plus my own experience, all confirm 40 grains of FFFg as the optimum load. One source lists a load of 50 grains FFg and got within 30 fps of the same velocity. I used .013" Irish linen I found in Austin for patching. Sam Fadala, one of the two sources used the same patching, according to his notes. I would imagine that something in the 30 to 40 grains of FFFg will prove accurate in your .45 version...and yes, please, post pictures of your .45 Plains Pistol...it would be very interesting for us. :thumbsup:

Yes ! i show you my investarm plain pistol 0.45 with a little custom..
Next days i will edit a new post !!

img_5411.jpg

img_5412.jpg

img_5413.jpg

img_5414.jpg

Home made small box
img_5415.jpg

Original sights are like yours Layman Plain Pistol, the same sight.
I've buy this sight in american ebay shop :) this is Lyman adgustable sight. Very good !!!

BillinOregon said:
Mattole: Love that still, moist Humboldt County air -- and miss it. It was not far from you that I fired my first muzzleloader 44 years ago -- a brass-framed 1851 Navy .36 imported by Hawes -- now long gone. I was a junior in high school when my dad agreed to buy it for me from a little shop in Rio Dell, or was it Scotia.

Hi Bill,
That shop was probably Grundman's Sporting Goods, which is still there in Rio Dell, run by the same family as when you bought your 1851. The folks there have been a great help to me over the years with guns and hunting advice.

Latest posts

Back