• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Young Guy wanting to turn Traditional only

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Click Boom said:
...how do some of you go about telling the nay sayers that this is something that I want to do and this is the way I want to hunt? I appreciate the advice and sorry if the question or statement I am asking is unclear.

Eric

I never went down the traditional path until my original big game/small game "gang" had pretty much dissolved. So I never had to explain why. Though even then I was carrying a .54 percussion because in our area it was either that or a shotgun slug.

I'm not a duck or goose hunter, so I'm not hindered by the time it takes to reload meaning I have missed over-flights, but I find a flintlock for ruffed grouse to be a whole lot of fun. If I was hunting for sustenance it might not be my choice, but for sport it is rewarding.

Traditional muzzleloaders are the fly-fishing of the hunting world. A little archaic, but no less successful in the right hands.

Sometimes it's better to fill the brain with satisfaction than the game-bag with carcasses.

Eric, just follow your Heart, I know that sounds corny but its true.

If you have a dream or interest in Traditional Muzzle Loading now's the time to do it.

Find a Local Group to shoot with if possible, travel to some shooting events and check things out.

As stated above if "getting the limit" every time out is your thing...Traditional Muzzle Loading is not for you.

If you really just enjoy the hunt, then you've found a home.

Welcome to the Forum :hatsoff:

but everyone I talk to says it’s stupid and I shouldn’t do it if I want to shoot limits...how do some of you go about telling the nay sayers that this is something that I want to do and this is the way I want to hunt?

ZOIKERS!
There are so many points here....,

First, how do any of these people know or even suspect that you can't get your "limit" with black powder shotguns? Were they once skilled with a BP shotgun and have since abandoned their use? Did States invent season or daily limits after modern shotguns were invented and prior to that a limit wasn't needed? Since when did an enjoyable hunt = limiting-out?

The last time I checked, it was called "hunting" not "getting".
:hmm:

How many of these folks who are so generous with their hunting advice are helping you with modern hunting? Have you seen these folks in the field and would you want to hunt with them?

:hmm:

For some reason you will find in the world of hunting, folks who think they have a valid opinion and position on traditional BP shotguns and rifles, after seldom or even never having used one. :youcrazy:

You will find severa sorts of people who harvest game animals. For some it's just about killing something..., and sometimes they don't even eat what they kill. They look for the most advantage with the least effort. For others it's all about the bag limit, and if they don't "limit-out" then they have had a bad day. :shocked2: Then there are those who are strictly going for the trophy..., they want the biggest buck, or hog, or turkey, or all three, and for them nothing else matters. Among these are those who consider themselves mighty hunters because they display a huge head upon their wall, harvested at 300 yards with a .338 Lapua Magnum, looking through a 12x power scope, while they sat in an elevated, enclosed and heated tower...., the buck never had a chance to discover that the hunter was there.

Now all of these folks thin the herds and flocks and gaggles, and keep the animal populations in check, and pay their fees (hopefully) and so do contribute and serve a function. So I'm not knocking them..., I simply find fault when they opine about how we hunt, when they've never tried it, while I have tried theirs. :wink:

They miss a LOT. They miss seeing some things first hand, that otherwise they'd only see in books. They actually cheat themselves out of a much deeper experience. They scoff even at the idea that they are missing something..., when in fact they are harming themselves by doing so. :shake:

Henry David Thoreau wrote in 1854, more than a century and a half in the past:

"We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn, which does not forsake us in our soundest sleep”¦., To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts”¦, Every man is tasked to make his life, even in its details, worthy of the contemplation of his most elevated and critical hour. I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

So persue what you will that will give your life significance. You're only here, once.

LD

Thoreau also wrote;

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours..”
”• Henry David Thoreau

:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Reviewing posts and thinking............Traditional? How many of our forefathers "limited out". Heck they wanted a squirrel for dinner and shot ONE (or two). They didnt bring back a "limit" as they had no way to keep em cold (and I have yet to read about smoking squirrel to keep?

And YEP our rifles n shotguns do the job just as good as the .338 win mag with the Ziess on top. We just still "hunt" vs seeing a herd 1/2 mile away, shooting one and praying we get to it before another hunter tags in and is down the road :haha:

So I got a question. I spend a lot of time visiting with ol’ Henry. So, I’m out in the tall timber, dressed in historic clothing, my belly full of fried pudding and bacon, coffee in my can sweetened with a bit of the creature carried in a tin flask. A beeswax candle sputters on a rock and a small camp fire glows before me. And my face glows with the light of a kindle as I read ol’Henry, Gregg, maybe Homer. Is this a contradiction :grin:

tenngun said:
So I got a question. I spend a lot of time visiting with ol’ Henry. So, I’m out in the tall timber, dressed in historic clothing, my belly full of fried pudding and bacon, coffee in my can sweetened with a bit of the creature carried in a tin flask. A beeswax candle sputters on a rock and a small camp fire glows before me. And my face glows with the light of a kindle as I read ol’Henry, Gregg, maybe Homer. Is this a contradiction :grin:

Not to me....But I don't know who you mean when you say "Gregg"....

Aldo Leopold would be good to read also....or John Muir

I'd say it's all related.

Ah, sorry, Josiah Gregg, I was reading him on my last trek. I do take a kindle but only read old books when I’m out in the tall timber. Yes I know it’s a silly rule, no modren books when I’m on the trail :haha:
I only read my modren political or historical books, and modren novels at home, it has to be at least pre 1870 to get on the trail. It might be an old novel like Ivanhoe and I’m a big fan of of Chaucer and I can read Dante and Shakespeare in the woods. I get too distracted at home.
And I’ve yet to read Muir at all, he is on my list... so many books so little time. Sometimes It is a lot easier for me to read a book I like and have read several times then start a new one.

I really got into the traditional ways of doing things. If you, are into getting limits each time you go out, then this might not be right for you. Not saying it cannot be done, it'll just be more difficult.

I've never met many naysayers. Most seem to be sort of interested, think it's kind of cool, and respect my way of hitting the woods.

For me, it is a freaking blast. Sort of indescribable. It's a much more personal experience. And harvested game seems to mean more than using modern means.

Just try it man. You have nothing to lose and loads to gain.

Follow your heart! Don't let others tell you what is the best way to do things! This road is definitely a one of passion. Be Passionate and you will succeed!

If you ever want to hunt in Central Oregon look me up and we can share a campfire!! That goes for anyone who wants to hunt "Traditional"!

You may not be successful every time but when you do, it is so much sweeter!!

Congratulations on your choice of firearm(s). I built my .50 caliber Hawken replica in 1970, because at that time the only choices to use to hunt deer, in Indiana, were shotguns and muzzleloaders, and rifled shotguns and chokes had not yet been invented. My rifle is much more accurate with a greater effective range than a smooth bore shotgun. I have not looked back and now have 5 more black powder guns. Any game taken with black powder has a better flavor. My favorite gun is a .32 Crockett. Keep yer powder dry...”¦.robin :hmm:

Back