• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

woodchuck and flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stringbean

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I spent a little while on my old stomping grounds last evening and got this fella with my flinter...

Cool :thumbsup: Curt Lyles would make some nice barktan hide out of that an you it for a bag

Hey trapper, I shot him at 55 paces with my .50 cal verner style rifle that i built last winter.
string

Well done! Looks like he was sittin' up looking at you, and the shot was perfect. :thumbsup:

Re: the eatin'... I've cooked a big one and a young one. Both had decent flavour, but of course the younger was much more tender and preferred (and I seem to recall getting the big fella's pajamas off was quite a chore). We cooked both in a potato bacon chowder, and there were no complaints at the table.

:hmm: I can't remember eatin a bad one,but we usually eat the young un's.Good shoot there.Griz

Marmot season starts here in 3-4 days I haven't shot one In years and :hmm: not sure I remember all the glands. Anyone got a drawing or a video. Seems like there are four aren't there ?

No drawing or pics but the glands are located

1. in nape of the neck-it is the butterscotch colored mass. A lateral slice across the neck where it meets the back exposes it

2. In the armpits of the front legs-- again butterscotch colored mass.

3. Butterscotch colored mass running along inside of backbone

4. Behind the knees on rear legs. Whitish colored mass

While all are edible, the young ones are much better eating. Have them a variety of ways. In spaghetti sauce, par boiled and placed on grill with bbq sauce, sauted with onions and peppers, roasted.

the above is for ground hog/woodchuck. "marmots" prairie dog or ground squirrels- I do not know

I frequently find I'm swimming upstream, against the prevailing currant, why is that? :wink:

If you research scent glands in the groundhog, you find that they have several, but not in the places we have always been told. They are in three areas, around the face and mouth, on the feet, and perianal, under the tail. No armpits, no small of the back.

Glands produce a secretion, that's what defines a gland. For glands such as scent glands, there has to be an opening for that secretion to flow to the outside. None of the "glands" we are always warned to remove have openings, they are totally buried in the fat or muscle of the animal, so they can't be scent glands, they don't produce a secretion which will contaminate the meat. If they are glands at all they produce hormones internally, into the bloodstream or lymphatic system of the animal. In humans there are many similar "glands", but they are lymph nodes, not glands. I don't know if groundhogs have a lymphatic system, but they probably do, they are mammals

They may not be all that tasty, but there is serious doubt they will ruin the dish if you fail to remove them. I've eaten a few groundhogs in days gone by, I never paid any attention to removing the glands, and it was still delicious.

Many animals have scent glands which we have to watch out for, such as the javelina or the beaver, but I don't believe groundhogs do.

Incoming. :blah:

Spence

You may very well be right Spence as I am not an expert on rodent biology. I will however proclaim that the removal of the above listed gland or lymphnodes or whatever they are does result in a more palatable meal.

The groundhog (Marmota monax), also known as a woodchuck, or whistlepig, is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots.

The yellow-bellied marmot (Marmota flaviventris), also known as the rock chuck, is a large, stout-bodied ground squirrel in the marmot genus.[2] It is one of fourteen species of marmots, and is native to mountainous regions of southwestern Canada and western United States, including the Rocky Mountains, Sierra Nevada, and Mount Rainier

:idunno:

Here in Colorado we have the yellow-bellied marmot(Marmota flaviventris), . Not at all sure how defferant they are from the groundhog (Marmota monax),

I got talked into driving in a "truck Rodeo" this Saturday for my work :( there goes 1/2 my weekend but I still might get out Sunday with the .32 :hmm:

Back