• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Missouri Chert Flint verses English Flint. Which is more reliable ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Another great video, chert and to the point!

I'm compelled to mention BPMS's extraordinary attention to detail in all, but especially this, video.

He painstakingly color-matched his fingernails to the English and MO flints just so there'd be no confusion.
Color Matching with Subject Matter.png

Folks, this here is a Very Professional Unpaid Amateur Black Powder Maniac Shooter.

Might want to consider next time to not do the test with your powder horn strapped to your body right next to the flash.

Fleener
even I who has been known to singe all the hair off my forearms with spilled powder on my bench top cringed a bit watching that flash so close to the horn. proves Jesus does love you!

I liked your video, thanks for sharing. It's good timing too, a guy who does knapping just sent me 2 dozen variety of chert and novaculite to try out. He just dropped them in the mail today.
I think I'm going to do slow motion video of each sparking, maybe I'll create my first ever YouTube

I liked your video, thanks for sharing. It's good timing too, a guy who does knapping just sent me 2 dozen variety of chert and novaculite to try out. He just dropped them in the mail today.
I think I'm going to do slow motion video of each sparking, maybe I'll create my first ever YouTube
Please do.

I have been using english flint from Track of the wolf. They are called hand knapped but look like a machine ground edge on one side. Normally good for 20 shots or more before needing touched up. 40 to 50 shots per stone is normal with Kibler smr.

I pick up chert occasionally here in Kansas. I pay more attention to the quality of the stone than to the color. It varies from dark gray to almost ivory. I look for stuff that is dense and smooth/slick looking. I don’t know how to better describe it. If it is a broken piece I check for good sharp edges. Much of it will have a limestone covering on part of the piece. I rarely find a large nodule.

Thanks! Another great video, chert and to the point!

I'm compelled to mention BPMS's extraordinary attention to detail in all, but especially this, video.

He painstakingly color-matched his fingernails to the English and MO flints just so there'd be no confusion.
View attachment 306712

Folks, this here is a Very Professional Unpaid Amateur Black Powder Maniac Shooter.
That is what happens when a lock "bites" you during cleaning...OUCH! LOL

That reminds of something I had heard years ago. A guy was visiting a friend who was living off grid somewhere in Nothern California. I guess he noticed the material that his friend was using for a rock in his flintlock. Upon questioning on how they sparked and then on what size was the original rock that his so called flints came from. His friend let him have some of the chards that were left from knapping these “flints.” When the fellow got home; he did some research. Estimating by the characteristics and the size of the original piece; that chunk of “Jasper” untouched would have been worth something like 10’s of thousands of dollars‼️ He never went back to tell his friend what it was worth!

Great video, I bet the barrel was filthy after firing 50 "blanks".

So where does one get Missouri Chert ? Is it available pre knapped in standard sizes or does one have to get raw rock and flake his own ?
I live in SW Missouri and white chert rocks are all around. In some places they are a real nuisance. I have found several fist-sized chunks poking up through the dirt in my yard.
I have busted out useable gunflints/spalls to use in my guns and they work very well.
Have not worked at it enough to get really good at it. White chert with a sharp edge really sparks when struck with a properly hardened striker when lighting a fire.

That reminds of something I had heard years ago. A guy was visiting a friend who was living off grid somewhere in Nothern California. I guess he noticed the material that his friend was using for a rock in his flintlock. Upon questioning on how they sparked and then on what size was the original rock that his so called flints came from. His friend let him have some of the chards that were left from knapping these “flints.” When the fellow got home; he did some research. Estimating by the characteristics and the size of the original piece; that chunk of “Jasper” untouched would have been worth something like 10’s of thousands of dollars‼️ He never went back to tell his friend what it was worth!
I've got lots of jasper I've picked up over the years from several states. I may have to try knapping one to make a flint out of. I made one out of MO chert a while ago and it worked fine but my knapping skills need to be improved a lot. It took a lot of time to make.

Latest posts

Back