• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood under rib question.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been told that the wood ribs on New England rifles are made of hickory, and they are attached with tenons and pins, just like pinning the barrel into the stock.

If I were to make one from wood, I would make it from ebony. (Rosewood if I could not find a suitable piece of ebony) Most likely would use staple underlugs as less to cover up, & cross pins to retain to the wood rib to the barrel. Have not seen a original rifle (in hand) to examine, but have seen 2 halfstock contemporary rifles with wood ribs.
That being said, a steel underrib is by far superior in all ways.

Skychief, The picture shown is one I am working on right now. the studs are brass, a little 1/6" nub was filed on them, a shallow 1/16" hole was drilled into the barrel, and they were soldered on. This is the third one of these I have made. The first two were made with a swamped barrel, and the studs for holding the rib were brass as well, but I dovetailed them into the barrel. It gives it a nice affect with the brass dovetails every three inches, running down the barrel. I don't have pictures of them, made them for my son's and they are out of state. The wood I used was from the stock I used to make the gun, in this case, cherry, the other two were curly maple. You could use wood to match, or a different species, that would accent the gun, it is really a matter of taste. It is not as strong as a steel rib, but it is surprisingly strong.
Robby
DSCN0519.jpg

An underrib does not need to be strong. It's just a place to hang a ramrod. Wooden ones are a neat feature on New England halfstocks.

The Silas Allen posted was done in the following manner;

Under Lug
underlug.jpg

Under Rib (hickory)
underrib.jpg

Muzzle
muzzle.jpg

Assem
assem2.jpg

Chris Laubach

Nice! :thumbsup: Never a day goes by that I do not learn sumthin new about this business!

Davy :hmm: :grin:

I've seen one Southern gun with a wood unrib. Not sure how it was attached. It looked to be of the same wood as the stock. Maple.

jbrent said:
Good job on the illustrations - Now, How do they hang the RR Thimbles?

Thimbles are inlet just like you would for a full-stock and pinned.

Here is one I did many years ago
ne4.jpg

ne5.jpg

Chris Laubach

Chris, I was wondering if you have any other photos of the Silas Allen Half-stock? I currently have a New England half-stock kit patterned after a Silas Allen. I am interested on any detailed photos especially of the tang and lock areas.

greymount said:
Chris, I was wondering if you have any other photos of the Silas Allen Half-stock? I currently have a New England half-stock kit patterned after a Silas Allen. I am interested on any detailed photos especially of the tang and lock areas.

PM sent

Chris Laubach

Skychief said:
Chris, many, many thanks! Was that Silas Allen rifle used in the making of Swampy's New England Apple wood rifle? Looks like it....pure DROOL-MATERIAL! :thumbsup:

Chris has never commented on any of my N.E guns, so I'd rather you leave me out of this and just listen to what he has to say. :v

Back