• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winter Challenge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeChapin

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to the Wyoming Winter Challenge shoot in Glenrock this weekend. This has been an annual event in Wyoming for over 20 years. It consists of 10 paper targets, three at 25 yards, three at 50 yards, three at 100 yards and one at 200 yards for a total of 510 points. All targets are shot offhand except you can use cross sticks on the 200 yard target. Prizes are just plaques and medals but they are good for bragging rights.

The weather was breezy to windy in the mid thirties. Normal weather for Glenrock.

I was using my Santa Fe and feeling pretty good about it. I had won the John Colter shoot the week before and thought I could improve my normal mediocre score. Hah! :rotf:

I shot from so-so to really bad on a couple of 50 yard targets. The only bright spot was the 200 yard target. I shot it off hand because, at my age, it is no fun getting up and down off of cross sticks. I held about two feet to the left to compensate for the wind. I managed to put four into the scoring rings for a 30. The best score I have ever had.

I ended up with a 297 down two from what I did last year. I had a lot of fun seeing people that I missed over the winter. The one thing about the Winter Challenge is that it comes close to the fine line between fun and masochism at times but is still on the fun side.

Sounds like a lot of fun! I've never shot a ML that far before. The most I've done is 135 yards at a gong. There's something to be said for "standing-up and shooting like a man"! At 50 years old, I know what you mean with the sticks with the up & down!

Did you get a chance to foul the rifle prior to the first shot, or do they make you shoot from a cold bore? What about sighters and/or the use of a spotting scope?

Ya got me hooked with the story and now I want to hear more! :haha:

Glad you had a good time and thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Dave

Back