• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wilkinson percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was gifted this rifle by my father, who was in turn given it by his father, and for some time now have been trying to figure out what exactly it is. It doesn't match any military pattern I can find, and does not seem to have been government issued.
I then came across the thread here by Cannonman1 which seems to show a very similar weapon, albeit in far better order than mine...
As you can see from the pictures, this one is missing its barrel, and seeing the pictures of Cannonmans lovely example makes me wonder whether it could have been equipped with something similar.
I was told a vague story by my elderly father that the barrel for this one had been sent for repair / refinishing many years ago, but was somehow lost. Sadly his memory was not at its best by this time, and I was unable to find out anything more about the gun, other than him thinking that it was somehow linked to the QVR's (with whom my grandfather served with some distinction in the great war).

So, am I right in thinking that this is a Victorian era "military target" rifle, of a type used in the mid to late 1800s by volunteer riflemen? I have tried to do some research into the weapons used at the early nra events, but have not found all that much information. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

I am now wondering what my option are regarding the restoration of this gun, and whether a suitable replacement barrel and breech could be made for a rifle such as this?
DSC_0194.JPG
DSC_0184.JPG
DSC_0199.JPG

Something wrong with this picture how can the nipple bolster be removed ? It does seem to be the Volunteer rifle I expected .Oh I see there IS no barrel. it is 'doable' & in my view such as I can see worth doing . But it looks early so maybe had a Brunswick maybe Pat 51 barrel type barrel. But volunteer or Gentlemans rifle fits .Your in UK so try'Old Dog' or any of the 451 & Enfield shooters . .Where I in UK Iv'e made similar but in NZ thier's to much distance to go at it with nutty Govts we suffer today .No best contact the MLAGB via old dog or other UK posters . What you don't want to do is alter the existing parts .Lots of luck .
Rudyard

While I would love to say that my budget is limitless, as for most of us this is sadly not the case. I am prepared to invest a reasonable amount in restoring the gun, but will need to get some estimates before deciding how to proceed with this (a Damascus barrel for instance may be out of reach financially, or simply unavailable).

I'll contact the mlagb for guidance as suggested, and go from there.
Thanks, James.

I've just caught up on this post from a couple of years ago - almost - and noted that the metal part of the tang remains, but the barrel does not. Is this not then a hook-breech rifle in the style of a P51?

I have an original Robert Pritchett Volunteer Short rifle, based closely on the P51 Short rifle, which has a hook breech, just like this one seems to.

1672948805924.png

1672949063670.png

Given that you don't have any current idea about dimensions of the missing barrel, but looking at the comparison view above, it seems that yours is the full-length rifle, later to morph into the better-known P53 Enfield of ACW fame. It is most likely to have been .577cal rather than the original .602cal, and not .451cal, although you now have a choice with a replacement barrel.

Given that these rifles were nonetheless made to a prescribed pattern, I'm more than happy to help you out by measuring all the dimensions of MY barrel and breeching to assist you in getting a replacement made. Note that also have a couple of three-band Enfields as well, again for comparison purposes.

As previously noted, it won't necessarily be a cheap exercise, but it is certainly doable. Damascus barrels, however, don't come into the equation, as far I know. As you can see from my barrel, it is a very plain item -
1672948023898.png

1672948075545.png

Perhaps your rifle had a full-round shape, unlike mine, which would make the fabrication of a replacement somewhat easier, using a Short rifle barrel from a EuroArms rifle that would needing only the hooked breech plug fitting. I recall that DGW offered such an item in an older catalogue - part numbers MP0720 and MP0730.

The little matter of sights pales into insignificance beside the main task though.

We are very lucky that the US of A is well-served by a large number of skilled craftsmen able to carry out a job like this.

Last edited:
T Foley revives the missing barrel case . Its do able its worth doing but finding your artisan in UK is the trick .Only one I can think of might be Paul Sawney High Wycombe way He was MLAGB member & RFD but might have retired or Rex Holbrook also MLAGB if he's active . Then you might be well siute by Mr Hoyt in the US though getting gun stuff sent any where is today all made complicated . Ide still say My Hoyt would be your best bet at least as the the basic dims if you know them .Is the PH Enfield at all close ? be my first thought or original Enfield he could follow that if it suited The plug will
be a job for a good man like Paul or me but ime too far away you have the B net makeing the bar to fit is doable sights youd have to go with whats out there even an old long lee sight is better than none .
Regards Rudyard

Hey, Rudyard, thanks for your input, useful, as usual. I've PM'd the OP in an effort to locate him - as you surmise, from the mention of the MLAGB, he is probably in UK, but we really don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Hey, Rudyard, thanks for your input, useful, as usual. I've PM'd the OP in an effort to locate him - as you surmise, from the mention of the MLAGB, he is probably in UK, but we really don't know for sure.
I try to be useful Thank you for the compliment not certain but think he.s UK Maybe it was sent to Bailey & Onions in Brum for browning & never got back to pick it up could be still there ?. Worth a try be great to get the rifle together again . Ime not sure if Rex Holbrooks alive he smoked cigars all the time but he would be old choose what & I think Dave Monk might have gone Ime 78 but still working mostly archaic pieces never did much percussion but Did make Gordon Gerrades "Poor Mans Full match" as it got dubbed might still hold the Replica top score still ? 98 I seem to recall one Short range champs on Short Siberia . it was a Tony Hawkins NZ made barrel , I made others in similar vain . If my own 451 was got up from one of Duncan Bedfords unissued Martini barrels I used a few of them but mostly made flint guns .Very few cap locks out of over two hundred total No Henry Ford but I travelled about a lot .
Regards Rudyard

I try to be useful Thank you for the compliment not certain but think he.s UK Maybe it was sent to Bailey & Onions in Brum for browning & never got back to pick it up could be still there ?. Worth a try be great to get the rifle together again . Ime not sure if Rex Holbrooks alive he smoked cigars all the time but he would be old choose what & I think Dave Monk might have gone Ime 78 but still working mostly archaic pieces never did much percussion but Did make Gordon Gerrades "Poor Mans Full match" as it got dubbed might still hold the Replica top score still ? 98 I seem to recall one Short range champs on Short Siberia . it was a Tony Hawkins NZ made barrel , I made others in similar vain . If my own 451 was got up from one of Duncan Bedfords unissued Martini barrels I used a few of them but mostly made flint guns .Very few cap locks out of over two hundred total No Henry Ford but I travelled about a lot .
Regards Rudyard

The only person I can think of who might be up for it is Martin Tebbs, who lives about twenty miles from me. However, I'd heard that he's hung up his lathe a while back. Unless and until we hear back from the OP, wherever he might be, I guess that for all out good intentions here, you and I are about done with this thread, so thanks again to you.

The only person I can think of who might be up for it is Martin Tebbs, who lives about twenty miles from me. However, I'd heard that he's hung up his lathe a while back. Unless and until we hear back from the OP, wherever he might be, I guess that for all out good intentions here, you and I are about done with this thread, so thanks again to you.
Martin Tebbs yes I once sold him a Gibbs Metford 461 & he bought NZ made barrels from me All good memory lane stuff .
Regards Rudyard

Evening/Morning, Rudyard, I guess that you and I are talking among ourselves again, brother. No resplone from the OP either here or on PMs.

You have a great day down there!

Best,

tac

Latest posts

Back