• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why not drop in barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckr1952

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Why do gun manufactuers not make a drop in barrel of differnt caliber, I know I'm not the first to wonder, I have at least 2 guns I would buy a 36 or 45 cal barrel to convert it to a diffrent gun. Why does a barrel maker not make an aftermarket barrel, looks like they could sell a ton of them. I know theres a reason because its so obvious.

Maybe folks at Green Mountain supply what demand there is. But, I was willing to pony up the cash on a .40 for the GPR.
Reckon purchases are mostly with hunting deer in mind as the qualifier. And not many folks are into target rifles, shooting for shootings sake with rifles that won't go bangity-bang-bang-bang.

chuckr1952 said:
Why do gun manufactuers not make a drop in barrel of differnt caliber,

Well you touched on there being an obvious answer;

If they sold barrels, a person would only buy 1 rifle and several barrels.
There is more money in selling the whole rifle instead of just the barrel.

There are drop-in barrels for TC-Investarms-Lyman,,
,and aftermarket rifled barrel blanks CAN be had and fitted with breech plugs, under rails, underlugs and thimbles to fit most factory guns.
But the total cost can be $250 or better if you have someone do it and easily 200 even if you do it yourself.
It all boils down to the $$'s :idunno:

I have been told but dont know for sure that a couple of the big companys did this back in the 80's

Off the shelf the only two I know that are doing it today in a wide range of calibers are Green Mountain and The Rifle Works. Green Mountain drop-in barrels were generally unavailable for a lot of years, but are coming back into production now. The Rifle Works production slowed due to a death in the family a while back, but I've heard second hand they're coming back into production.

Lyman offers barrels for their own rifles, but only in 50 and 54 caliber. Other sources are cheaper than the one I linked.

In addition, most good gunsmiths can assemble one for you as parts are available.

I've never used a commercial drop-in but I have fitted my own barrels to several factory rifles. Full stocks or half stocks, it's easy enough and a lot cheaper than building another complete rifle and additional barrels don't take up nearly as much space in the closet as do additional guns.
I have one half stock with four different barrels and locks fitted to it, another with three barrels and locks and just finished fitting a second barrel and a side slapper lock to my old Blue Ridge flinter.
I can take just one rifle to rendezvous and compete in percussion, flint and smoothbore by just switching barrels and locks. If I'm hunting elk and decide I'd like to go after grouse this afternoon just a few minutes with a screw driver transforms my .54 percussion rifle into a 20 gauge flint fowler. Having additional barrels and lock along is nearly as good as having a spare complete rifle, just don't break the stock! :haha:
One can order a rifle from TVM with additional barrels fitted up and I suspect Matt would be willing to fit new barrels to existing TVM guns, one phone call would answer the question.

CoyoteJoe said:
One can order a rifle from TVM with additional barrels fitted up and I suspect Matt would be willing to fit new barrels to existing TVM guns, one phone call would answer the question.

That's a good option. A friend of mine has a full stock flinter from them fitted with both smooth and rifled 72 cal barrels. And is it ever sweet!

I have a T/C New Englander that I assembled from a kit as a 12 bore smoothie and later added a T/C .50 cal. rifle barrel that will swap for each other.

Great system. I'm really surprised it didn't see more popularity. It's a handy little cap gun.

I would like to have a flintlock from TVM, if I ever get the money together that could be an option.

I have a CVA Squirrel Rifle I assembled from a kit nearly 20 years ago. It came with both a .36 caliber and a .50 caliber barrels.

I have a .54 caliber Cabela's Hawken I bought a GM .40 caliber drop-in barrel (GM calls them IBS) for 8 or 9 years ago. The GM IBS barrels became harder and harder to find about 4 or 5 years ago. Rumor has it GM either has, or is getting ready to start, producing them again. So keep your fingers crossed.

I'm not speaking for everybody, because this is just how I feel about "drop-in" barrels. Last Fall I bought a TC .56 barrel to make my Renegade more versatile for small game. I thought I liked the idea of having several barrels for 1 gun because of the versatility but I just am not a fan of switching barrels all the time. That's why I'm looking to find a stock and lock for my .56 to make it into a whole new gun.

Caywood also offers different barrels for there guns the cost is a little more but worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back