• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why do some people leave a ML loaded?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a little off the subject but....This last winter a friend and I were checking out different gun shops and their used gun racks. Anyway I spotted a Lyman plains rifle and took a look at it . I like to run a clean patch down and check it for rust. Well the rod didn't go down all the way, it stoped short. The rifle was charged with a ball and powder...that was a susprise. The owner took the rifle and put it in the back. He said "he had never thought to check it" ....a potentially dangerous situation. Especially to some one new to muzzle loading...Something to think about....

stonebridge, that is a perfect example, my guns are locked up, nobody touches my guns but me, and on and on. flinch

I don't unless I'm up at hunting camp. When I'm ther there is no time they are unloaded. Not home though, at home they are unloaded and locked

It's those one-in-a bazillion chance situations that could leave you a ruined man that keep my guns unloaded. I got home from work and the wife had a few colleagues over. My flinter was out curing (drying out) from the previous evening's cleaning. As I came in the living room (wife in the kitchen) I was greeted by a smiling woman with my rifle in hand who exclaimed "Wow! It's heavy." I calmly replied that it is also perfectly capable of blasting through the ceiling and up through my landlord's body an out through his head. I also explained that it was LOADED. I reached out and took the piece. The lady had saucer-eyes and asked why I left it loaded. I replied that it was in fact unloaded but in as much as she had no way of determining this; she should not have picked it up and that it was very poor manners not to have asked permission first.
You can't be everywhere at once...

That is one way to wake someone up! I bet that she thinks twice before handling someone elses firearm now...

Back when we bought our house it was laid out so it had a 'formal living' room in it...we had no use for it as a formal living room so I installed a door with a lockset and have it set up as a dedicated hunting/shooting room...stays locked all the time...don't have to worry about strangers, grandkids, etc

When camping and hunting up in the mountains, we never unload at night unless the gun was shot or caught in a downpour.

Why would you want to spook the game you are hunting by shooting every night?

One of them co2 gizzies is just more stuff to carry, that might or might not work.

I always sight my gun in for a clean first shot, I can leave it loaded for days, with no problem.

At home, it is locked and tagged.......during hunting season.

Back