• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there a way to postpone cleaning a ml?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard not to use Bud Light for cleaning as it is corrosive.
only if you’re gay curious…

Who likes any light beer??? Would you order light steak?
Vegan bacon ( which, stupidly enough, exists).
How about if your woman (or man) offers you light sex?
While i’m on the subject of beer, why so many IPA s??? it’s what you leave after filtering a guinness stout through your liver. Loathesome pisswater. Bourgeois answer to old milwaukee. Thus endeth the beer rant.

You don't need hot water or soap for the ride home. You can clean it enough to stave off corrosion using nothing but the spit from your pie hole, oil off your dipstick, and a bar napkin.
Not cleaning a BP rifle before you get home isn't an issue. It's NOT CLEANING the rifle that's the issue.
One of my first muzzleloaders was a TC or maybe Lyman (kit gun?) Someone threw it together, fired it and never cleaned it. Hadn't even bothered to put any finish on the stock.
Bought it for next to nothing, pulled it down and got busy working on it.
Did the electrolysis thing on the barrel while I was working. Got a big tub, filled it up and hooked a battery charger to it and let it work all day. Got the corrosion out of it but the barrel was pitted REAL BAD.
Finally got after the bore with a hone the best I could. Got it pretty smooth but not enough "I thought" to get a patched ball down and seated. Still got it !! Saw it the other day, sights and all. ;)
Ended up setting the barrel aside and installing a .32 Green Mountain replacement drop in barrel.
Fired it a few times, cleaned it and set it aside, never to be fired again. Posted it For Sale but no takers that didn't want it for next to nothing. :(
Electrolysis, interesting process. :)

There is a product I believe fits the bill perfectly. I (once) put off cleaning my rifle for a day for exactly the reason you mention. A piece of cloth soaked in Olive Oil down the barrel immediately arrests the hygroscopic properties of gunpowder residue and prevents rust setting in. For a bit. The next day I ran my ramrod and a dry piece of cloth through the barrel a couple of times to get rid of the small amount of residue and oil and it was ready to fire again. It could be argued that a full clean would only have taken a few minutes more.

Back