• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who Does Scrimshawing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john s mosby

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's the first horn I made that turned out decent. I want to have it scrimshawed with a map of Lancaster County but that type of work is way past my skills. Do you guys know of anyone who scrimshaws horns made by other people?
Oh, I didn't make the strap, it came from a guy on Ebay.
195189488.jpg

No I don't, but I have to comment that that is av ery nice looking horn. You did a very good job. :bow:

Thanks for the kind words. I was pleased with the way it turned out. All it needs now is that Lancaster County map. I put way too much work into it to mess it up now. If I'm lucky someone will know who can scrimshaw it for me.

Sir,
It is not as difficult as you would think. Polish the horn, draw your map on the surface with a soft lead pencil, coat with acrylic protector (art store), scratch the design onto the horn using a sharp object (a light touch is better than a heavy hand), coat with India ink, remove excess ink with damp paper towel, steel wool to remove acrylic and finally coat the horn with wax. Done!

You'll be surprised at how well it will come out. Just don't be in a hurry. Start with the main out-line first, then add the detail. The toughest part is getting the initial design the way you want it on the curved surface. Make sure to use your eraser, and get it how you like it. Mistakes can usually be scraped out with a sharp blade. Make sure you have good lighting, as it makes it easier to work.

Hey, if the old guys could do it on a whale tooth polished with oil and ashes on the "bounding main", you can sure do it!!!

The first thing I have to do is find a map of Lancaster county from the later part of the 1700's. 1780 or so maybe.
If I can't find anyone maybe I'll try drawing the map on in pencil and see how it looks.

John try Jerry Hester, he does some nice work and is local, Hershey area, he n his wife Beverly are usually at the Lancaster shoot(Muddyrun) n may be up at Jacobsburg the end of the month. If ya don't have his addy try punching in "Lancaster County Longrifles". I believe their email addy is on the site. hope this helps some YMHS Birdman

Mr. Mosby,
You might drop Brasilikilt a PM. Don't know if he works on horns made by someone else but am very pleased with the horn work he did for us.
Best Wishes

Contact Mike Small who recently joined the forum.I've admired his work at Dixon's fair and few, if any, are as accomplished.

Bob Gular said:
Contact Mike Small who recently joined the forum.I've admired his work at Dixon's fair and few, if any, are as accomplished.
You can't go wrong with Mike Small's work.

Scrimshaw is trench-art. Unless done by professionals like the Tansel family, John Bush (a mulatto who was quite adept) or other professionals, most scrimshaw horns were done by the soldiers themselves. They had the time and so do you. Take your time and scratch your own.

I agree what Gary said.''Take your time and scratch your own. I believe that you can do it if you're able of doind that kind of good quality powder horn! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back