• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which hawk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hawk,

Fransisca2.JPG

Fransisca.JPG

Claude said:
Rifleman1776 said:
Where can I get some curly maple handles at?
But, the real question is "WHY?". Why do you want curly maple for a hawk handle? Hawk handles are subject to great stress in use. That is why hickory is the most popular wood for handles. Curly maple might be nice to look at but, I guranatee, first time used for chopping or throwing it will break.
I agree. People buy them for looks, but curly maple makes a poor handle.
The most beautiful piece of maple I've seen was a broken broom handle I found that someone had stashed in an unlocked locker at work who knows when. No way it was leaving the building but I came back to look at at it there on my lunch breaks several times. The key point is that it was broken. I also saw some nicely figured ash wood on unbroken skids.

necchi said:
The Bottom one is the Francisca and is late 18th century, more of a battle ax and too expensive to make for common trade.
And they have a way goofy balance too'm to be handy around camp.

looks like cross between a 17th century Biscayan axe and a sixth-century francisca, made thinner for easier throwing...Don't think I've ever seen an original like that.

Franciscas weighted something like two to three pounds, IIRC.

Coo coo kachoo?!

Haha seriously though. The revolutionary poll axe from Crazy Crow is a might heavy, but should serve my purposes. I stained the handle with some light stuff and it looks nice. The "India" stamp filed right off

Have you known of anyone using Osage Orange for hawk or axe handles.? I have used it on several handles during the past year or two and haven't had one come back broken yet. One disadvantage is that it doesn't take stain very well but I get around that by using leather dye instead.

The Caddo NAs in NETEX used Osage Orange for many purposes including war-clubs & war-axe handles.
(NETCC Library has several such handmade implements in the college library.)

yours, satx

The top one. Your persona would have chosen durability for his tools, so a hickory handle over maple.

stancarlson62 said:
These guys have many options. Many are not correct for a mountain man but darn the look nice

I think 'correct' is somewhat subjective... Axes and tomahawks are robust and except for the handles, built to last. I find it inconceivable that what would commonly today be thought of as period incorrect would never have be seen among mountainmen. They may not have been as common as camp axes, but I'm sure Franciscan's and other tomahawks were carried by some.

BJC said:
II want to look like this but in a pre-1840 way.
12541152_466282966911061_4108658474954173986_n_zpswrn4gkfe.jpg
Quite frankly, that image is the last I would use as an example for what should be worn or carried. Looks straight out of the 70's - 1970's that is....

Sooter76 said:
stancarlson62 said:
These guys have many options. Many are not correct for a mountain man but darn the look nice

I think 'correct' is somewhat subjective... Axes and tomahawks are robust and except for the handles, built to last. I find it inconceivable that what would commonly today be thought of as period incorrect would never have be seen among mountainmen. They may not have been as common as camp axes, but I'm sure Franciscan's and other tomahawks were carried by some.
It is their distinctive nature that allows axes to be dated to a more or less specific time period (Head shape & construction, Eye-shape & size, handle type/shape). Most of the axes available today resemble those of the 18th & 19th century in one primary way - they are used for cutting/chopping...
http://tatcalite.tripod.com/id42.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooter76 said:
stancarlson62 said:

If by "Franciscans" you mean frankiskas, I find it inconceivable that they would have been used. First, they date to AD 250 up through maybe AD 600 or so, e.i, they dropped out of use a thousand years earlier. Second, they weigh a tone for their size and were specialized throwing axes, thrown before closing in with spears and swords and probably intended to disrupt an enemy formation prior to impact.

I very much doubt that a weapon that fell out of use prior to the Viking Age found its way to the Rocky Mountains.

"But, but, they're sold by the dealers! They must be historically correct, right???"

The perfect example of why everyone needs to do their own research. And by research I mean actually doing the legwork. Looking things up and searching and digging and reading and yes, spending the vast amount of time and money required, and studying them for yourself. NOT "hey, guys, I sure like this (item x), is it correct?" Internet questions are good for pointing people in the right direction, but never take what so-and-so says as "documentation". :wink:

Back