• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where are the DOVES?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave K

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been to every type of field I can think of. I have placed elevated decoys to try to lure them in, but you can't lure what isn't there. In mid August, we had a flight of doves come through and they were everywhere. By now the doves are probably looking for Roundball to shoot at them. Ohio, at least where I am at, must be having a dove shortage. Yes, I did see 5 doves the first week of Sept. and I did get in a shot, but still! At least that fowler I redid got to be used and it works. I thought it was a 20ga. but after I was done with it and went to Friendship to get componets, it really turned out that 19ga. components are a perfect fit. Buying componets can be like buying shoes, you really have to see what fits best.
201018gasxsdove.jpg

Dave, next year come on out to Az. On opening day,Sept. 1, it sounded like a firefight going on in the desert out in the N. W. part of the valley. The fellow across the street has been here sixteen years and said he didn't need a calendar to know when it was Sept. first.

The word is out on you DaveK...they're going "around" your state this year !!
:grin:

I have been at all...really didn't hear about any place around here but really wasn't trying to find one anyway...I spent a lot of time getting the new .62cal Virginia smoothbore ready for deer this fall...not so much with load development as with filing sights.
First filed them too low, had to replace and start over...then the notch way too wide, had to replace and start over, finally got the third set OK...took 6-7 separate range trips and 250-.600" hunting loads until I finally got everything the way I wanted it and time ran out.

Dove season opened but I still had to scout / figure how I could hunt one of my only 2 hunting places because it had been totally clear cut this spring...place looks like a war zone, trees gone, etc...it'll be great the NEXT few years when some initial cover jumps back up but right now its a total disaster finding a spot with some cover AND deer traffic in ML distance.

So any doves I shoot this year will be after the main hunting seasons are over and probably be those round, orange-colored clay doves :wink:

Latest posts

Back