• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When Do You Use Your Vent Pick?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Gang
This may sound like a silly question But I'm going to ask it anyway. I've been shooting flintlocks since the mid '70's. I have not really utilized my vent pick unless I happen to have a flash in the pan while shooting at the range.
I saw a video in which the shooter used his vent pick after loading his charge but before he primed his pan. This got me wondering about whether there was any advantage to this procedure. Other than making sure the vent is clear, would this procedure help in the speed of ignition?
Just thought that I would throw this out to the forum for some insight.
Thanks.
Sadly, my question will probably be considered ignorant, but here goes…it seems that everyone is discussing flintlocks? I have a percussion and I’ve only fired it twice. I used the “pick” afterwards and completely cleaned he rifle both times as it was going to be sitting until my eventual 3rd shot. Is there a difference in fouling between the two? Should I also use a pick in between? Btw both of my shots were during the ice storm when we were frozen in..my 16 yr old son and I sat in my bedroom doorway and fired one each down the length of the house into our crappy couch (turned longways). Only one ball made it through to the sheetrock and that second shot also set off the smoke alarms! Definitely dealing with some cabin fever that day! 😂

Every time I prime to be sure the vent is clear and ready to accept the ignition from the pan. During the day if I haven't shot, I dump the prime, re-prime with fresh powder and pick the vent again.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Could the pick used to clean oxy-acetylen copper tips be used as a pick for flintlocks too or do you find it too "raspy" ? The pick kit contains lots of sizes so I simply wondered ...

1711978126001.png

Last edited:
I have a 6 inch piece of oxygen tubing with a basketball fill attachment to blow out the barrel. It keeps my face away from the products of incomplete combustion. The end of the fill attachment is ground down to open the end

I use a tiny bottle brush, one that has bristles a bit larger than the hole. You can get a ring of little brushes of different diameters from TEMU for a very small price. They are useful in cleaning those hard to reach areas of revolvers and autos. The downside is supporting China. Everything they sell is made there.

I've always been a "blow down the barrel" guy. If I can tell there is any obstruction at all, is when I use the pick.
Me too! And as someone else offered ... if at some NMLRA shoot or other range that forbids the practice, I too use a simple 'blow tube' to clear the touch hole.

In regards to any debate about the use of a touch hole pick vs. blowing down the barrel, here's what Larry Pletcher observied in his Touch Hole Ignition Timing tests from the February 2000 issue of MuzzleBlasts magazine:

"While cleaning the barrel between tests, I learned something that may be important in firing flintlocks. Looking through the inspection port opposite the touch hole, I saw that the touch hole was partially clogged. A vent pick was pushed into the touch hole while watching from the inspection port. I could see the dirt being dislodged as the vent pick went through. However, as the pick was withdrawn, the dirt was deposited back in the touch hole where it was at the beginning. This was seen more than once. It made me think that running the pick through the touch hole might not do as much good as I once thought."

Me too! And as someone else offered ... if at some NMLRA shoot or other range that forbids the practice, I too use a simple 'blow tube' to clear the touch hole.

In regards to any debate about the use of a touch hole pick vs. blowing down the barrel, here's what Larry Pletcher observied in his Touch Hole Ignition Timing tests from the February 2000 issue of MuzzleBlasts magazine:

"While cleaning the barrel between tests, I learned something that may be important in firing flintlocks. Looking through the inspection port opposite the touch hole, I saw that the touch hole was partially clogged. A vent pick was pushed into the touch hole while watching from the inspection port. I could see the dirt being dislodged as the vent pick went through. However, as the pick was withdrawn, the dirt was deposited back in the touch hole where it was at the beginning. This was seen more than once. It made me think that running the pick through the touch hole might not do as much good as I once thought."

Right after every shot. I use 1/16 iron rebar tie wire that hangs from the trigger guard. I don’t use greasy lubes that would make fouling follow the pick back out. Proven performance and to each their own.

I don’t use greasy lubes that would make fouling follow the pick back out.
FWIW if you read any of the testing I had posted above by Larry Pletcher, he was NOT shooting roundball loads and any of the fouling he observed in the touch hole before or after 'picking' it ... was due to the powdah charge itself ... not from any lube, as NO lube was used ...

FWIW if you read any of the testing I had posted above by Larry Pletcher, he was NOT shooting roundball loads and any of the fouling he observed in the touch hole before or after 'picking' it ... was due to the powdah charge itself ... not from any lube, as NO lube was used ...
I’ve read all of his work and take what works for me from it. I have about six flint guns at the moment and shoot most of them in club matches at paper and woods walks. Shooting at one this weekend in which I won last year using what works for me.

I’ve read all of his work and take what works for me from it. I have about six flint guns at the moment and shoot most of them in club matches at paper and woods walks. Shooting at one this weekend in which I won last year using what works for me.
That's awesome @Kansas Kid ... like you said - use what works for you!

For others, perhaps those less experienced, there is a ton of good advice in all those testing articles that Larry did.

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/touch-hole-ignition-timing/

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/flintlock-timing-muzzleblast-january-1990/

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/a-study-in-lock-timing/

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/category/articles/vent-liners/

Thanks for all your responses. I kind of suspected that practices would be all over the place. My rifle has a vent liner and has pretty fast ignition already. I am going to try "picking" before priming during my next session. I doubt that I will notice much of a difference but why not give it a try.

Thanks for all your responses. I kind of suspected that practices would be all over the place. My rifle has a vent liner and has pretty fast ignition already. I am going to try "picking" before priming during my next session. I doubt that I will notice much of a difference but why not give it a try.
Also try picking before you pour the powder. You will find what’s best for that particular gun by trying different methods. A good flint that throws sparks directly into the center of the pan is had to debate.

Could the pick used to clean oxy-acetylen copper tips be used as a pick for flintlocks too or do you find it too "raspy" ? The pick kit contains lots of sizes so I simply wondered ...

I bought a set of those years ago. I'm still getting picks out of it. They work great.

As to when to use the pick, every shot. An old target shooter taught me this when I was just starting.
Before you load set the hammer on half cock, insert the pick in the vent, lower the frizzen to hold it in place and load as usual. After loading, raise the frizzen, pull the pick, prime and shoot. As long as you wipe the frizzen and pan occasionally you should not have a problem.

IronHand

Back